New Hampton HI300 fan runs slow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ControlFreak

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Holden, MA
I just picked up a new Hampton HI300 and I have a question for those who have this stove. When I plug in the fan and set the switch to Man, the fan barely spins when it's on low, and on "high" it seems to run at about the speed I would expect for the low setting. The high speed isn't anything like what I normally see for output with a blower like this.

I'm thinking that maybe I have a bad blower here.

Hey CF, I've got a Hampton, but it's the only stove I've owned with a blower, so I don't have anything to compare it to. On low I can barely hear the fan, which is great, and it still moves some air. On high it definitely pushes out some air and is louder, but not annoyingly so, unless you're in the room trying to watch tv or something. Did you own another stove prior that had a louder blower, or are you just talking about volume of air coming out?

You might have a bad blower, or you may not have a good electrical supply.
Did you use a volt meter to see if you've got 120 VAC?

I'm plugging it into the wall. I can be confident that it's getting full power. I slid the blower out from the insert and powered it up. You can feel a lot more air coming out of the blower when its off the stove. I am just accustomed to blowers of this type moving a lot more air than this one. This just may be a low cfm blower. By the wiring coming off the motor, it looks like they get the two speeds with two separate windings.

It puts out quite a bit of air compared to other new inserts... Its been a while but ask the tech center at hampton... One thing, the warmer it gets the more air moves thru natural convection...get er hot and let her rip!

Status
Not open for further replies.