new hearth for nc-13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
just finished the hearth for the nc-13. waiting for the grout to set, tomorrow, i'll move the stove from it's temporary location to it's permanent location on the hearth. THEN- i'll be able to seal the joints of the single wall pipe so the draft issues will be resolved...right?
i have some 2000f rutland cement for the job. never had to use this stuff before. the new stove does have a name that starts with "F"....finicky.

sorry, no camera yet, so still no pics.

Getting there. What was the final design construction?

PS: You did wipe off the grout haze?

yes, i did wipe off the grout haze.
the hearth is about 42" by 42" with 3 of the corners cut at a 45 and the fourth corner buried against a wall.

i don't have much room, so the 45 degree corners should help out slightly in being a bit less obtrusive.

with all the work i put in at the cottage, i plan to get some pics posted. new paneling in all rooms, hickory floors in kitchen, new cabinets and countertop, new carpet (in the very near future) new stove and hearth. being laid off had its advantages!

Yoop...grout haze is a PIA...isn't it....get that camera ready...pics or it didn't happen....

yooperdave said:
the hearth is about 42" by 42" with 3 of the corners cut at a 45 and the fourth corner buried against a wall.

i don't have much room, so the 45 degree corners should help out slightly in being a bit less obtrusive.

Good job. Just checking here that the hearth is at least R=2.0, right? The 13NC has one of the higher hearth insulation requirements out there.

how many steel studs would make a hearth r2.0?

Try it without using the Rutland cement. You probably won't need it. The debate on this goes on all the time. I've never used it and have no problems. Not as messy to disassemble for cleaning.

greythorn3 said:
how many steel studs would make a hearth r2.0?

It's not the quantity, it's the air space. A 4" air space is going to have a lot of insulative value. With a couple of layers of cement board on top, you will be very close to R=2.0. Note that your 30NC requires R=1.5 so this would more than cover that need. That said, the 30NC is a heavy stove. I would space the studs every 12", skin with sheet metal and then screw down a double layer of cement board on top for a strong platform.

BeGreen said:
yooperdave said:

Good job. Just checking here that the hearth is at least R=2.0, right? The 13NC has one of the higher hearth insulation requirements out there.

with the construction and materials i used, i am over R-2. a little bit anyway. about 2 1/4 the way i figure. but remember, this stove isn't used 24/7.
today, i placed the stove permanently and sealed the single wall with furnace cement...then after a short wait to air cure the cement, i built a small fire to heat cure the furnace cement. the only other concern i have is the adjustable bands on the 90 degree elbows. the rutland is more of a paste, and i'm thinking that i won't seal the bands on the 90's unless the draft is still bad. remember, that the adjustable 90's are adjusted to less than a 90 right now...maybe about two 60 degree offsets. i came out the top of the stove almost 4', then used the two offsets to meet the metalbestos that drops through the ceiling. i am hoping for a cooler day tomorrow, so i can give it a better fire to see how much the draft has improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.