New hearth for the Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam - would have never thought you would be a silver trim type of guy... LOL looks good!

I guess I am. I've taken extra chrome bits off of the truck but the satin silver looks pretty sharp on the stove. Like a nice faucet or the tungsten wedding ring on my finger. I would NOT want the brass looking trim.

After your scare I went and measured for my soon to be installed BK and was glad to see I have about 5ft from stove top to ceiling. That's with an 11in high pad. Thanks to vaulted roof in living room.

I'll admit that I was sweating bullets as I pulled that tape out. I've replaced some sheetrock in this house and I knew that I used less than two sheets to get to the ceiling so I was under 8'.

Okay, the final beauty shot. Well almost. Got the shorter slip piece of double wall and the cool new ceiling box adapter in the mail and bolted up this weekend. Even reinstalled the probe meter since I just really like to watch flue gas temps.

We are ready to burn now. The more artsy folks would notice that I haven't dolled up the skirt yet. That's coming and will most likely be oak, stained and poly applied.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: NickDL
Okay, the final beauty shot. Well almost. Got the shorter slip piece of double wall and the cool new ceiling box adapter in the mail and bolted up this weekend. Even reinstalled the probe meter since I just really like to watch flue gas temps.

We are ready to burn now. The more artsy folks would notice that I haven't dolled up the skirt yet. That's coming and will most likely be oak, stained and poly applied.
Very nice, I hope mine turns out as nice.

Very nice, I hope mine turns out as nice.

Thanks sequoia. I can't wait to replace the flooring and get the skirting on the hearth. Should finish out nicely.

That looks great. The skirting should really set it off.

Question.
Did you use the Duravent stove adapter for the DVL pipe? I just received my DVL stove adapter and I was under impressed on how it fit on the flue collar of the princess. It didn't "wedge" down on the collar at all. It just kinda rests on top of the flue collar.

That looks great. The skirting should really set it off.

Question.
Did you use the Duravent stove adapter for the DVL pipe? I just received my DVL stove adapter and I was under impressed on how it fit on the flue collar of the princess. It didn't "wedge" down on the collar at all. It just kinda rests on top of the flue collar.

I did use the duravent appliance adapter that shoves into the stove and then the double wall screws to that above 4" above the stove. The princess collar had some weld blob that I had to grind out but after that the duravent adapter slides right down. In fact, the very bottom of the adapter, where it's all crimped, just barely ends up below the stove top. The seal is nearly perfect with the exception of where the adapter is crimped on the side. I'm happy with how the adapter fits. The outer wall of the double wall sits about 1/4" above the stove top. You can't screw the adapter to the stove collar because the outer wall covers up the screw holes.

My current duravent appliance adapter has no key damper but my first year with the stove I used another duravent adapter with a key damper and it fit the same way. You sure you are putting it in right side up?

I did use the duravent appliance adapter that shoves into the stove and then the double wall screws to that above 4" above the stove. The princess collar had some weld blob that I had to grind out but after that the duravent adapter slides right down. In fact, the very bottom of the adapter, where it's all crimped, just barely ends up below the stove top. The seal is nearly perfect with the exception of where the adapter is crimped on the side. I'm happy with how the adapter fits. The outer wall of the double wall sits about 1/4" above the stove top. You can't screw the adapter to the stove collar because the outer wall covers up the screw holes.

My current duravent appliance adapter has no key damper but my first year with the stove I used another duravent adapter with a key damper and it fit the same way. You sure you are putting it in right side up?

I have the crimped inner stainless portion pointing down into the stove. I checked for weld blobs inside the stove neck and found nothing. The inner crimped stainless portion of the adapter seems like it is a bit too small and it just slides right down to the "ring" bulge that is formed in the stainless right above the crimped portion. When the adapter is in place you can reach your hand down into the flue collar and feel that the crimped stainless portion is dead flush with the internal flue collar and stove top weld junction.
I ordered a 6" adapter, I wonder if I should have purchased the 7"?

I have the crimped inner stainless portion pointing down into the stove. I checked for weld blobs inside the stove neck and found nothing. The inner crimped stainless portion of the adapter seems like it is a bit too small and it just slides right down to the "ring" bulge that is formed in the stainless right above the crimped portion. When the adapter is in place you can reach your hand down into the flue collar and feel that the crimped stainless portion is dead flush with the internal flue collar and stove top weld junction.
I ordered a 6" adapter, I wonder if I should have purchased the 7"?

Sounds like it fits just fine. Does it slop side to side? The crimped portion of the adapter is entirely within the stoves collar on mine. What were you expecting? It is a 6" collar on the princess. Why don't you move the question to the 2015-2016 BK thread where others are watching.

Sounds like it fits just fine. Does it slop side to side? The crimped portion of the adapter is entirely within the stoves collar on mine. What were you expecting? It is a 6" collar on the princess. Why don't you move the question to the 2015-2016 BK thread where others are watching.

It does not have slope side to side. I guess I was expecting it to have a compression fit and "wedge" in the collar. Sounds like it is good to go and I was just being a worry wart. Thank you for the help! I sure appreciate yours and everyone's help from this site.

Finished up another loose end. This is the oak connection. I used 4" ducting in the hearth since I wanted to use rigid pipe. The US oak adapter bolted to the stove is 3" but the Canadians use 4" oak regularly so I was able to acquire a 4" Canadian adapter and bolted it to the stove. Then used one of those premade semi rigid dryer ducts to connect up. No hose clamps needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20150926_165857.jpg
    IMG_20150926_165857.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.