New Hearth for Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2_ball_cane

Dec 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all,

I purchased a 2006 model Hearthstone Heritage. I'm preparing to construct a hearth pad to sit it on. I'd like to build it up a bit and was considering using metal studs. The subfloor is concrete as it is in my basement. I'm considering building it up using 2x2 square pavers or something similar instead of building a frame. The stove calls for an R-Value of 1.2 so I'm assuming I shouldn't have concerns since there will be no combustible materials under the stove. The back of the stove (no heatshield) will be a concrete block wall (house foundation). Am I on the right track? Are there concerns that I may be missing? I plan on using some form of stone or tile for the top of the hearth once I build it up. If I decide on tile I'll secure durock first. Thoughts/sugesstions? thank you in advance.

You're fine as long as everything underneath and behind the stove remains non-combustible. You may be disappointed in performance unless the space is small. Uninsulated walls and slab floor in a basement suck out a lot of heat. But that is a separate issue from the hearth.

You're fine as long as everything underneath and behind the stove remains non-combustible. You may be disappointed in performance unless the space is small. Uninsulated walls and slab floor in a basement suck out a lot of heat. But that is a separate issue from the hearth.
Thanks Begreen. I appreciate the reply. The rest of the walls are insulated so I think I’ll be alright. I removed the existing book stonework from the prior owner from the block wall behind the stove and I’m planning to restone it with veneer. When inchiseled off the old stone there’s a layer of some sort of mortar or adhesive left on the block. It’s pretty thick on some spots. Should I try to remove as much as I can with a chisel or do you think I can scratch coat right over it?

Attachments

• FF96DEA2-55A1-4A3E-8145-DDFD1BE44B13.jpeg
    FF96DEA2-55A1-4A3E-8145-DDFD1BE44B13.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 85
Might have used construction adhesive. That stuff can be tough to remove. Some bond exceptionally well.

Wire wheel on a grinder may take off the residue. Kind of messy! Just a thought.