New Hearth project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chez

May 10, 2008
LI NY
www.titansecurity.us
I have ordered a Jotul Firelight. I am preparing to build the Hearth and top it with bluestone. The wall behind the hearth is sheetrock. I have been told that I should build a vented wall with a one inch gap behind the stove. I plan on using metal studs on the flat, duroc board and Owens Corning cultured stone. I talked to the rep, and he told me I don't need the wall vented due to the stones rating. I am using double wall pipe to the ceiling, and the stove has a rear heat shield. The stove is at least 8" from the wall.

Attachments

• hearth[1].jpg
    hearth[1].jpg
    8 KB · Views: 273
  • hearth[3].jpg
    hearth[3].jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 265
Yes, it looks correct. Rough figuring shows 8" + 3.5" (metal studs) + 1.5" (stone veneer) would give you 13" from the dry wall. That should be fine with double wall pipe and the rear heat shield. What is the hearth size? Remember to have 18" hearth extension from the right side door as well from the front door of the stove. Keep taking pictures, it should be a nice setting for the new stove.

The Hearth is 59" wide by 55" deep. I will have more than the manufacturers suggested space just in case. Does it sound right that I don't need to have the wall vented? I appreciate your comments.

Sounds good. I agree that you don't need to ventilate the wall as described. It already will have a 3.5" captive air gap and if the stove is at least 8" from the wall it exceeds the minimum clearance requirements for the stove with heatshield and doublewall pipe. That said, the manual only gives the minimums, there is no harm in exceeding these guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.