1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nautiquer95

nautiquer95 New Member

Loc:
    Western Washington
    Hi all. My wife and I have been lurking here for the past few months and found much of the information very helpful. We are in Western Washington and noticed a few members posting from this area as well. We purchased our first stove last month and have been working on a hearth to place it on. Much of the design was inspired by photos and instructions found on this site. The rest of the inspiration was derived from my conscience - I couldn't bring myself to pay $455 for a prefabricated that didn't fit just right and with tile colors we didn't like.

We narrowed our choices down to two - the Harman XXV or free-standing Accentra. We finally decided on the XXV. There weren't any issues with having to wait for the stove. In fact, the dealer wanted to install two weeks after the purchase, but we held off for a month so we could prepare the hearth. We originally had a propane fireplace in this spot, so it had to removed. I have never tiled anything before so I learned quite a bit - I'm ready to tackle the bathrooms next!

Installation day is Friday. I'll post pic.'s then (When I figure out how). Many thanks to all.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jwl230

jwl230 Member

Loc:
    delaware co. pa
    that looks awesome..
  3. rap69ri

rap69ri New Member

Loc:
    Middle of RI
    Beautiful job, want to come do mine now?
  4. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    Awesome looking. Beautiful job. I may do something like that next summer, only had time enough this season to make something simple.
  5. itworks

itworks New Member

Loc:
    Southwestern CT
    Great job- I love it.
  6. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    For someone who has never tiled before, you surely did a fantastic and professional looking job! I especially like all the trim detail around and at the top - very nice!

Be sure to post pictures after your install (with the stove running of course) so we can see just how super that is going to look.

Excellent work!

Happy heating!

Steve
  7. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    Very nice work!
    Can't wait to see more pics with the stove in place.
  8. nautiquer95

nautiquer95 New Member

Loc:
    Western Washington
    Thank you so much for all of the compliments - you guys are quick too! We wanted a traditional style mantle but didn't want to pay for a mantle kit. Those things are around $300 for a six foot section and we needed two. We faked it with crown moulding and hemlock boards. You have to look closely to tell its not solid.
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Great Job!!!! The stove will look awesome there.....can't wait to see it all installed & running.
  10. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Nice! Nothing like DIY jobs. Save money while
    making it just the way you want it. [​IMG]
  11. Jester

Jester New Member

Loc:
    Seacoast Massachusetts
    Thats beautiful. I love the mantle and trimwork. Cant wait to see how it looks with a stove sitting on it chugging away.
  12. bungalobob

bungalobob Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ct
    I was wondering how to add a mantle of sorts as well, without it looking like a cheesey shelf. You nailed it. Looks like I'll follow your idea, it looks perfect. Real nice job!
  13. oc4man

oc4man New Member

Loc:
    Dartmouth,MA
    That XXV is going to look fantastic sitting on that hearth !!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.