New here.. with a Charmaster question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodjunkie

Jan 18, 2016
Michigan
I need some advice, I've been burning wood for years last year i had to buy a new stove so I went with a Charmaster.

Before it got really cold, it was working great now that its gotten cold Its hasnt been working out for me.

I went down this morning and started with dry wood this morning to get it going. The only way to get any heat is to run with the draftt wide open and dampner half open. The chimney runs between 400 to 500 degrees and cant get it any higher. That dry wood i put the stove burned for five hours with everything open? Im completely lost on this.

The chimney runs between 400 to 500 degrees and cant get it any higher.
You dont want it higher than that. What is the rest of the setup like? And how dry is your wood?

You dont want it higher than that. What is the rest of the setup like? And how dry is your wood?
Well, if i dont get it any higher it just sits and burns without making heat. The wood was seasoned for 2 years. Not sure what your looking for as far as the set up. Explain it please

Well, if i dont get it any higher it just sits and burns without making heat.
400 to 500 is actually to hot for the stove pipe if you are using a magnetic thermometer on single wall pipe. By the rest of your setup i mean what connector pipe how many elbows what chimney how high is the chimney ect. How was the wood seasoned and what species is it? We just need more info to give you advice.

that is a good stove pipe temp...a little more might not hurt but you're on the edge of being hot. the stove should be putting off good heat. have you taken the thermometer off the pipe and put it on the stove just to get a feel for what the temp is? do you remember what type of wood it is? just wondering because i've had some poplar that didn't put off much heat but on the other hand, locust or oak or hickory did pretty good. not sure why the box wouldn't throw any heat with temps that high in the stack. the box should be around 400 or so....i would think.

400 to 500 is actually to hot for the stove pipe if you are using a magnetic thermometer on single wall pipe. By the rest of your setup i mean what connector pipe how many elbows what chimney how high is the chimney ect. How was the wood seasoned and what species is it? We just need more info to give you advice.

There are no elbows, its a gradual incline out, then put into chimney. The chimney is a lined brick chimney. The chimney is around 25 ft high. The wood was seasoned outside, it was grey some im guessing maple.

that is a good stove pipe temp...a little more might not hurt but you're on the edge of being hot.
Yes i should have said almost to hot it isn't quite to hot yet but you don't want it higher. Unless that is measured with a probe

Oh well that is a different story. You are pretty much right on then

I shouldn't have to run the stove wide open to get to that temp..should I?
No that is why i want to know what chimney you have and what the pipe setup is. Also the species and moisture content of the wood.

The wood is all cherry and red oak. I mix seasoned with green.
Well there is part of the problem it all needs to be at 20% or below or it will seriously affect heat output. But what type and height chimney is it going into?

Well there is part of the problem it all needs to be at 20% or below or it will seriously affect heat output. But what type and height chimney is it going into?

This thing wants me to keep posting empty boxes every time i hit reply. Ok chimney is about 25 ft high its a luned brick chimney built back in the 1960S

This thing wants me to keep posting empty boxes every time i hit reply. Ok chimney is about 25 ft high its a luned brick chimney built back in the 1960S
What size liners are in it? The height sounds good but if it is over sized that could be part of the problem

Is this Charmaster a wood furnace or wood stove?

I'm going to move this over to the boiler room with the hope you will be able to network with other Charmaster owners. Has the flue cap been checked? If it has a screen that may be getting plugged.

The chimney is either 4 x6 or 5x7 this was rebuilt before my time so im not sure which
well either of those sizes would be very strange but if that is infact the size it is to small

How big is the house? Insulation good? Is the furnace ductwork done properly...like all metal, sized correctly and static pressure set? return duct hooked up?
There are a ton of ways to "lose" heat with a furnace...setup is much more complicated than most would ever think.
With that short of a burn time you should be sweating.
Is there a baffle that could be out of place in the firebox? Whats for dinner? Are we there yet? ;) ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.