New Home Construction Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Open9

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good morning guys! I'm new here but I am building a new home, and have a few questions about my fireplaces and you all seem to be the experts!

I have a large fireplace in the great room and one in back patio. In the house plans and as I had always told the contractor, both were to be wood burning. I had a gas line running to our range in our kitchen, and one day I showed up to house site and found that they had run gas to both fireplaces. I expressed my displeasure, and the contractor said he could cap the lines off outside of the fireplaces, or he could set it up where I use the gas line to "start" the wood fire, then shut it off once its going.

Having a gas line in the fireplace where I will be burning real logs bothers me a lot, even though I have heard of some people using a gas starter. What are your thoughts?

If I do have him cap the line off, how far away from the fireplace should it be?

Have to make this decision before we get the fireplace hearth inserts. (we did not opt for solid masonry fireplaces)

Also, any advice on fireplaces? Contractor suggested Napoleon, Heat&glo and majestic. Thanks a bunch!

First off nothing wrong with a log lighter but they need a remote control valve so the line can be shut off away from the firebox. If you don't want that I would have your builder cap them in the firebox and disconnect the other end. Then there is no danger and you will have the lines run if you ever want them.

Ok I just saw you are talking zc not masonry. Just have them capped under the unit then. But first what are your intentions with the fireplaces? Are they going to be just for an occasional decorative fire or do you want some heat from them?