New home, New Fireplace need some guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kfrupp

Apr 27, 2010
Kansas
Hello all, just found this site yesterday and spent a few hours checking things out. There is a lot of great information and opinions. Although I could not find ant specific opinion on the questions that I have running around in my head. There for here is my first post!
I'm currently building a new ranch style home just west of the Kansas City area. I'm doing what I can to build it energy efficient. 6" exterior walls, blown in insulation in the walls and ceiling all brick exterior, expensive windows and a geo thermal hvac system (great tax credit on that). I have always wanted to put an energy efficient wood burner in the house. One for atmosphere and 2 for efficiencyy. The house is 2250 sq ft on the main level with a full basement but slightly less finished. My plan that I have worked out in my head is to install the quadrafire 7100 in the basement (it is a walk out) since I feel that will be the bast spot to insure the whole house will benefit. I'm having a problem finding someone in my area that really seems to know what their doing. Had one lady tell me that I can not put it in my basement due to the chimney being to tall (Roughly 40'-45') and that it will not work very well and fill my house with smoke. This is what helped me decide on the 7100 cause it says that the max chimney height is 50'. I plan on having my HVAC guys install a return air vent above the fireplace so that I can use my furnace to help circulate the heat from the fireplace. I found a place on-line that would sell me the unit and everything I need to install it for $4900 (That seemed a little high to me) But this is my first rodeo and wasn't sure what to expect. The local dealer is a nice guy but didn't seem to know much about this unit. I think they install units more for pretty not performance. I was hoping to install it myself to save some cash (I'm pretty handy-Doing electrical, flooring, complete basement finish and trim-out!) Went over budget since day one as anyone that has ever built can tell you is pretty standard. Reading some posts on here I came across the RSF delta 2; like the looks of this unit also. What is the price difference between the delta 2 and 7100? I need to make some decisions on what I plan to due pretty quick just looking for some thoughts or input from people that have been around and know somethings.
Thanks for any input that you can give me.

Before proceeding further take time to go to the articles section of this website and read up. Also go to www.woodheat.org and read the section on chimneys and good installations. It sounds like you may be getting some good advice but just don't want to listen.

Code prohibits installing a return air vent within 10 feet of the stove. But that would be overkill anyway and running the hvac system is inefficient and costs for electricity. I need to head to work now, but I'm sure you can get some good advice from others here. It would help a great deal to post the plans here so we can make suggestions for best placement.

Thanks. I have been told that I was stuborn more than once. I would like to upload a copy of the floor plans but it is a PDF and I'm unsure how to save it as a photo.

I'd consider putting Quadrafire on main level for many reasons - reasonable chimney height, ambiance, heat on main level. You'll find oodles of posts here about difficulty of moving heat from basement to main level. And is there a fireplace in this equation? Or are you referring to the wood stove?

I thought that I would have more problems getting the heat to the basement if the unit was on the main level. My father burns and his is on the main level and the basement was freezing until he installed a cage fan and pushed the heat to the basement. (but only in 1 room) Going with the heat rises rule I figured that the basement was the most economical spot for it. When you refer to a fireplace what do you mean? The 7100 is the style that I would like. Is that considered a stove or a fireplace? The free standing stove is not an option for me.

If this is new construction, why isn't a freestanding stove an option? Is this mostly and aesthetic decision? If so, that's ok, I just want to understand what is driving choices and decisions.

Also, there are prefab fireplace units that allow ducting of the heat. That could solve the basement heating question.

kfrupp said:
I would like to upload a copy of the floor plans but it is a PDF and I'm unsure how to save it as a photo.

Send it to me when you get a chance via a PM (if it will allow it) or email. I can create a photo from it.

kfrupp said:
I thought that I would have more problems getting the heat to the basement if the unit was on the main level. My father burns and his is on the main level and the basement was freezing until he installed a cage fan and pushed the heat to the basement. (but only in 1 room) Going with the heat rises rule I figured that the basement was the most economical spot for it. When you refer to a fireplace what do you mean? The 7100 is the style that I would like. Is that considered a stove or a fireplace? The free standing stove is not an option for me.
I guess it depends on the house but I had a friend who put an old style wood burner in his basement (big cast iron unit) and in order to have it about 70 or so upstairs it was about 90 in the basement and the cement floor around the stove was so warm you could not walk on it in bare feet with out discomfort, he later decided that was "stupid" and put a wood burner upstairs.

Here are the floorplans. Where would the fireplace be situated if in the basement? And if on the 1st floor, in the LR correct? Why no freestanding stove option? Looks like the better plan if the basement is the only option, especially if the stairway can be widened. How will the basement walls be insulated?

Given the scope of all you have to deal with, I would opt for an EPA fireplace in the LR and duct it to the basement. I would also have the central heating system zoned with the basement on its own thermostat.

Attachments

• Basment-plan_web.jpg
    Basment-plan_web.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Upper-Level-plan_web.jpg
    Upper-Level-plan_web.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 241
Thanks again for getting those posted. My intentions were to place it underneath where it is drawn in on the main floor, or close to it so that I can run my stack up through the same place it is originally shown. The stair case can not be widened since it is already installed and trusses were made to order. As for the option of a free standing stove it's just not our style and would rather do with out if that was the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.