New home, new setup, on the right track?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Primary heat. Yes. Shhhhh. Don't tell your home insurance fella that. They want to here that the wood stove is a backup or secondary heat source. 750 sq.ft. on the main floor as well as second floor here. My place is a work in progress:) Only 1/4 of my exterior walls now have insulation between the studs. The 20 kept my place comfy last winter without the insulation. Cant wait to get the entire place insulated.

My take on the cat stove is this. If the L.P. furnace needs to run it's time to fire the wood stove. The cat stove is able to run at such a controlled heat output that I find I am running it far more than my former non-cat unit. I run full loads twice a day.

My non-cat had a huge heat swing that roasted the place. Then either went out or needed molly coddling with regular additional splits to keep it going. I don't miss futzing with the non-cat at all. I don't miss the huge heat swing. The giant initial heat output was kind of impressive however!

My experience is that you will plan on keeping the cat stove running for the gentle regulated heat output that it is known for. Don't plan on "just running it when it's terrible cold". My BK brings the place up to temp slowly. Then holds it there easily with far less wood consumption. My non-cat was more like a shotgun wedding. Boom, it would overheat the place. Then required more feeding/adjusting/monitoring etc.

Just my experience.
Thanks again for sharing. Wow, only 20% insulated and things still heated well, that's great. What non-cat are you comparing to? An old "airtight" or a more modern stove with a secondary burn?

Back to our dilemma, that's the main unknown here: just how long and low the non-cat T5 will burn in comparison... I see lots of statements like "the T5 is one of the longest burning non-cats" but just how long and low is that? Website states 8hrs, nowhere near the 20hrs of the BK... if real-world time happens to be in the ballpark of the BK then it's a good option due to the price and the cast iron.

Gotta decide today...

My other stove was a modern 2ndary burn unit from Century. Surely the T5 is a higher quality unit. Let us know how you come out. Likely to be very pleased either way. Your decision depends on the style of heat delivery and burn duration you really require. Enjoy

I own an Alderlea T5 insert ( insert version of free standing stove) and a BK Ashford 30. The differences between the 2 are significant.

I would not burn the T5 unless the temp was below 40 F because it will give between 5 to 6 hours of intense heat (with hardwood) and then cool down significantly during the coaling stage. When the secondaries of the T5 are going ,stove top temps are in the 500 to 600F range at low burn dropping off to about 200 during the coaling stage with the air wide open. The living area of the house will often be 74-75 F when the secondaries are active.

The BK on the other hand is much more controllable. I ran it last week when it was in the mid 50's F and the living area of the house was about 70F with it cruising with the air about a third of the way open for about 12 hours before reloading.

Both are good stoves, but when it comes time to replace the T5 ( I've had it for about 6 years), a BK insert will probably replace it due to the superior burn rate control.

Reactions: Ashful and moresnow
My other stove was a modern 2ndary burn unit from Century. Surely the T5 is a higher quality unit. Let us know how you come out. Likely to be very pleased either way. Your decision depends on the style of heat delivery and burn duration you really require. Enjoy

Thank you again for the info--that's very helpful! Cheers and enjoy your stove too

I own an Alderlea T5 insert ( insert version of free standing stove) and a BK Ashford 30. The differences between the 2 are significant.

I would not burn the T5 unless the temp was below 40 F because it will give between 5 to 6 hours of intense heat (with hardwood) and then cool down significantly during the coaling stage. When the secondaries of the T5 are going ,stove top temps are in the 500 to 600F range at low burn dropping off to about 200 during the coaling stage with the air wide open. The living area of the house will often be 74-75 F when the secondaries are active.

The BK on the other hand is much more controllable. I ran it last week when it was in the mid 50's F and the living area of the house was about 70F with it cruising with the air about a third of the way open for about 12 hours before reloading.

Both are good stoves, but when it comes time to replace the T5 ( I've had it for about 6 years), a BK insert will probably replace it due to the superior burn rate control.

Thanks for sharing that, very helpful for sure... another vote for the BK... ok I'm on my way now to see one... albeit a Sirocco 30... I guess if it's not too huge looking I may consider it, although the mockups suggest the 20...

Thanks again all and I'll update any progress :)

Thanks begreen, both being good choices is why it’s a tough choice :)

I wish we could test drive one, probably the BK, as I have a feeling the low burn factor is just that great to have that kind of control. You say the T5 has unusually long burn time, any comment on real world times? I didn’t find much here on the T5, other than folks do like them, but again, all the modern efficient stoves seem quality...
The T5 firebox is the same as the PE Super27 and PE Spectrum stoves. These cost less than the Alderlea and are more common. There are many reviews here on both the PE and BK stove options. We have found temperature swing in our house to be minimal with the T6. It used to be more dramatic with the Jotul F400. I attribute this to the cast iron jacket on the T6.

I own an Alderlea T5 insert ( insert version of free standing stove) and a BK Ashford 30.
Well, there you have it. Here’s a guy with both stoves you’re considering, which sort of makes the rest of us one-sided commenters.

I will say, I missed your specification of 1000 sq.ft. above. I have one of my BK Ashford 30’s installed in a room of 900 sq.ft., open to another few rooms bringing the total space up to maybe only 1100 sq.ft. In terms of insulation, the space is one third 1890’s construction with blown-in polystyrene insulation, one third high-end double-glazed low-e glass sun room, and one third 1990’s 2x6 construction with blown-in cellulose. The 400 sq.ft. that makes up the 1890’s section has an uninsulated bead board ceiling, so some heat goes to heat the room above, too.

In the case of my house, the BK30 does very well on 24-hour burn cycles. Run any harder than that, it can overheat the space on all but the coldest of days. So, going back to my math above, we’re taking just shy of 500,000 BTU over 24 hours, or 21 kBTU/hr. That T5 has a lowest setting roughly double that, so I can’t imagine how you won’t overheat a 1000 sq.ft. space with a T5.

Yes, heating small spaces with wood is quite a challenge. I think your original thoughts of running a BK 20 is where I’d start. Remember, you’re not marrying this stove, you can always swap it in year 3, if you find it’s not working well for you. I went thru 5 stoves in 4 years, and @webby3650 has probably swapped even more, it’s not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Well, there you have it. Here’s a guy with both stoves you’re considering, which sort of makes the rest of us one-sided commenters.

I will say, I missed your specification of 1000 sq.ft. above. I have one of my BK Ashford 30’s installed in a room of 900 sq.ft., open to another few rooms bringing the total space up to maybe only 1100 sq.ft. In terms of insulation, the space is one third 1890’s construction with blown-in polystyrene insulation, one third high-end double-glazed low-e glass sun room, and one third 1990’s 2x6 construction with blown-in cellulose. The 400 sq.ft. that makes up the 1890’s section has an uninsulated bead board ceiling, so some heat goes to heat the room above, too.

In the case of my house, the BK30 does very well on 24-hour burn cycles. Run any harder than that, it will overheat the space. So, going back to my math above, we’re taking just shy of 500,000 BTU over 24 hours, or 21 kBTU/hr. That T5 has a lowest setting roughly double that, so I can’t imagine how you won’t overheat a 1000 sq.ft. space with a T5.

Yes, heating small spaces with wood is quite a challenge. I think your original thoughts of running a BK 20 is where I’d start. Remember, you’re not marrying this stove, you can always swap it in year 3, if you find it’s not working well for you. I went thru 5 stoves in 4 years, and @webby3650 has probably swapped even more, it’s not the end of the world.

Thank you very much for doing some of that math and for your experienced opinion on the heat output vs space as well. I really appreciate it. Also the comment of not marrying it! You're right, in fact we are thinking if we miss the mark with the BK 20 we could take it up to the cottage and replace the old smoke dragon.

We'll go with the BK 20 and let you all know how it goes :)

Reactions: Ashful
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the footprint of the hearth is actually smaller for the 30 then the 20. It has better clearances.

Reactions: Ashful
Food for thought. My BK Sirocco 20 has been going 11-12 hrs per load since last fri. afternoon on primarily white pine loads. Not known as a long burn fuel to say the least. I have a abundance of the stuff. Might as well use it up early season.
My home is a story and a half 750sq.ft. on the main floor. Not much different in footprint than yours. My stove is located on the main floor as a corner install to maximize available floor space. Main floor and upstairs stay very comfy.
Until the next "miracle of technology" comes along this stove is staying here! Feel free to message me for insight from someone who is actually using a 20 series BK. Enjoy your research!

Hi,
I am a new member here.. I just ordered a sirocco 20 and was woudering if it is that hard to fill like most people seem's to say...
My house is 825 sf and very well insulated located in Quebec/canada ..the 30 would be to big but technically ok ..

Do you like the 20 ?

Hi,
I am a new member here.. I just ordered a sirocco 20 and was woudering if it is that hard to fill like most people seem's to say...
My house is 825 sf and very well insulated located in Quebec/canada ..the 30 would be to big but technically ok ..

Do you like the 20 ?

Guess I never heard that this stove was difficult to load? I wouldn't trade my BK for any other stove. Very happy with my 20. I went to my trailer yesterday morning to make sure it was good for winter. Stayed the night and came home at noon today. Gone 29 hrs. Reloaded on coals when I got home today. Unbelievable. What else can I say;)

Guess I never heard that this stove was difficult to load? I wouldn't trade my BK for any other stove. Very happy with my 20. I went to my trailer yesterday morning to make sure it was good for winter. Stayed the night and came home at noon today. Gone 29 hrs. Reloaded on coals when I got home today. Unbelievable. What else can I say;)

Most 3 cu ft non-cats only go 12 hours. 30 hours on a 2 cu ft stove is phenomenal.

Hi , ,
Sorry for the slow reply..
Thank you for that info. .. I must say it is impressive..
The 20 will probably be my choice,

Thank's again !!

Now that is great to hear! Thanks for that info. We are excited for our 20...!

We finished the slate hearth today. We designed it to be flush with our 3/4" pine flooring we'll install after the stove install, which will need scaffolding etc. The pine floorboards are sitting acclimating. We've been running dehumidifiers inside since the weather has been so damp and the wood stove will likely keep humidity very low... trying to avoid too much shrinkage this winter.

We are very excited to have our stove installed this Thursday. Lots of dry ash is waiting to be burned--one silver lining of the darned ash borer...

Wish us luck!

Here she be:
IMG_2710.JPG
Now that the scaffolding is all gone, we can get to work on the floors...

Break in time, first burn :)
IMG_2715.JPG

Thanks again for all the help everyone! In order to pay it forward to anyone with similar questions, we will update as we get to know how it heats our space.

Cheers :)

Reactions: redktmrider