New Home, see through FP or Stove(?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schreib

Mar 20, 2015
Elk River,MN
I'm Building a new home. It will have super insulation (ICF bsmt walls, R22 walls, R40 clg) and will require an ERV. I have been using a Kozy heat FP built in insert since building this home and it works pretty well. However, their lineup is changed and they no longer offer this style. I want something similar to this(style 234) in which it educts room air around the outside of the FP insert and re-heats it and blows it out the top. My large return air grille is only a few feet away and it sucks that 120 to 180°F air into the HVAC system and recircs throughout the home instead of heating you out of the FP room. I like this concept.

That being said, I would hope that since 1984 another company has come up with something like it only better, maybe adding in a better way to transfer the heat from the FP insert than just pushing it around the outside, like maybe have a few heat tubes to gain surface area and be more efficient.

Any suggestions for brands and types.

OH, one more thing. I would LIKE it to be see through, two sided! ha! thanks.

Check out Supreme. They have EPA-approved see-through fireplace and stove. http://www.supremem.com/
With their secondary air combustion the efficiency will be in the 70% range. However, you will need dry wood with less than 20% moisture content for a proper burn.

Yes, thanks for the confirmation, I had found that one(Opus) before posting. . . looks like a good one. Not much else out there it seems. . . I did not notice, however, they have secondary air combustion. . . any guess on efficiency of my old Kozy Heat to compare? thanks!

Not sure which model you have but when it does not have secondary air combustion or a catalyst you will be surprised by how much more efficient the Opus will be. Just warming up the air around the firebox will only barely make up for the heat loss you have through the combustion air that is sucked up the chimney.

There are a lot of good efficient EPA fireplaces on the market. With a super insulated home you will need to watch the size unless this is a very large home. Is this a basement install? Will the FP be for heating the whole house or just the basement area? How many sq ft will be heated?

FWIW, according to mechanical code the return air is supposed to be at least 10 ft away from the stove/insert/fireplace. Keep this in mind when building new.

Status
Not open for further replies.