New house bad setup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brendyn

Sep 7, 2020
Republic WA
Hi all we just recently moved back to the country from the city. I wanted to make sure the chimney was good to go for winter. The more I look, the more I get confused on what the heck they did. First I noticed there was no damper on the stove pipe, so I took my wife's mirror and looked up the pipe. It went straight up without one. I was confused cause as a kid we always had them. My sister told me oh yeah the new stoves sometimes don't cause they burn different. So looked up the stove it's an older quadrafire 1900. So after researching it, I wanted to make sure the brick, baffle and blanket were good. (should have realized since I could look up the chimney that they removed them)

So I was thinking that I could just install a damper on the single pipe for this year and replace the stove next. Then I noticed the 6 inch pipe goes into 8 and there is no adapter. The 8 is just slide on top of the 6. So if I get an adapter and damper do you think that would be good for this year?

Can you post some pictures?

Pics speak a 1000 words. Unfortunately not surprised I’m always amazed at some of the installs I see. My own house had a Vista insert installed by a local hearth shop that was very questionable. I only discovered how bad it was when I took it apart to renovate majorly.

Pics speak a 1000 words. Unfortunately not surprised I’m always amazed at some of the installs I see. My own house had a Vista insert installed by a local hearth shop that was very questionable. I only discovered how bad it was when I took it apart to renovate majorly.

I think I got them to attach. Also I have started a small fire in it and it drafted well.

Attachments

• 20201011_091039.jpg
    20201011_091039.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20201011_091049.jpg
    20201011_091049.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Wow
Reactions: moresnow
Yes, it looks like you need a chimney pipe to single-wall stove pipe adapter. Is there a label on the chimney pipe that identifies the brand? I am wondering if it is installed upside down.

Can you post some more pictures of the whole chimney and where it goes through the roof or ceiling? A pic of the chimney cap may also help with the ID.

Yes, it looks like you need a chimney pipe to single-wall stove pipe adapter. Is there a label on the chimney pipe that identifies the brand? I am wondering if it is installed upside down.

Can you post some more pictures of the whole chimney and where it goes through the roof or ceiling? A pic of the chimney cap may also help with the ID.

Yes...Selkirk Metalbestos model SS II part # 6t-36 type HT

Ok, it is not upside-down. You need a dripless adapter. Otherwise you are likely to get some creosote dripping on the outside of the stove pipe. Either Selkirk 6T/DSP-CPA or 6T-DSAC should work.

Ok, it is not upside-down. You need a dripless adapter. Otherwise you are likely to get some creosote dripping on the outside of the stove pipe. Either Selkirk 6T/DSP-CPA or 6T-DSAC should work.

Okay so just to clarify something is the chimney pipe I have considered to be a 6" because it goes off inside diameter? Thanks for all the help by the way much appreciated.

Yes, the chimney pipe is listed by the inside diameter.