1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New house, confused about fireplace HELP!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Deana, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deana

    Deana New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Messages:
    2

    OK, so we bought a house a few months ago, and have recently been using our fireplace. There is a gas key and gas output pipe in the fireplace, but the previous owners had been burning wood in it. We were told when we bought it was a woodburning fireplace and the gas was just to help get it going. Being ignorant on fire issues, we have been burning wood. On occaision, we get downdraft problems and also backdraft with smoke coming in. Also, the fireplace doesn't seem to generate all that much heat whether we have the gas going or wood.
    There is a small L shaped wire lever on the front side near the surround. There is also a vent that looks like a dryer vent on the outside of the house. Is this possibly a direct-vent for a supposed gas only fireplace? if so, how do I know which way is open or closed for the lever? (no markings ANYWHERE) And, can we still burn wood in it?

    Thanks, I scoured the QA section, but nothing was specific on how to determine these things.
    Deana

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. webbie

    webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2005
    Messages:
    12,099
    Loc:
    Western Mass.


    My guess is that you have an outside air kit and that is the thing that looks like a dryer vent. You'll have to deremine which way the lever works...open, closed. Should be easy....

    This sounds like a metal pre-fab fireplace - they don't put out much heat! Just for looks...really!

    If the chimney goes straight up and there is a round damper of size over 7", then it is almost definitely a wood fireplace. Sounds like they may have installed a gas starter...hopefully, because you surely should not be burning wood on top of a regular gas log burner.

    perhaps you should have a local certified sweep or other specialist look at everything and at least confirm what you have. You don't want to blow the place up! (Wood and Gas sometimes don't mix well!)
  3. elkimmeg

    elkimmeg Guest

    Deana is it a brick concrete fireplace or metal tthe thing you are talking about is an outside air inlet used to supply outside air to increase draft of the fireplace which prevents down drafts and back puffing Many state require them outside air requirement is in the later versions of The International Mechanical codes
  4. Deana

    Deana New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Messages:
    2
    HI Better Safe TS
    It is a concrete fireplace. There is a round damper and flue, so I would guess by Craig's assesment that it is a wood burning with a gas starter. Anyway, the gas pipe is getting pretty nasty with all the ash so I should call someone to assess the situation.
    Thanks for the replies!
    Deana
  5. elkimmeg

    elkimmeg Guest

    Is your flue metal of Clay? I would worry about the gas pipe make sure it is shut off. If not using it remove it.
    It is possible it was used for a gas log set and not a starter. In any case I would have it removed. In order for more detailed help more info and details are needed. Tell us how the chimney is run and its location size provide as much info as you can
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page