New house, new to pellets, issues after switching from hard to soft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisM3

Jan 9, 2014
PA
Hey guys, just bought a house recently that has a Breckwell P24FSA in the finished basement for supplemental heat. I did a full cleaning before I started it up for the first time.

Previous owner left some Lignetics hardwood pellets here which I've burned through learning to control the stove.

I ran out so I went down to the local Ace and picked up some American Wood Fibers premium white pine pellets to give them a try for lower ash then the hardwoods. I'm on my first bag and I'm having issues I can't controls.

Since I'm new to pellets I'm trying to get a good clean burn going, and I can't seem to do it. The heat exchangers have turned from a nice white with the hardwoods, to a black soot color with the softies.

The stove is not putting out as hot of air as it did on the hardwoods which forces me to increase the feed rate which has caused it to shut down a few times, except the air has never been as hot as the hardwoods.

To control it from shutting down, I have to decrease the feed rate/damper it down but then end up with a semi-lazy flame. If I set it so the flame looks like it's a clean burn then it burns pellets too fast causing me to increase feed making the flame too large and the stove shuts down.

I'm starting to think this stove just does not like these pellets. Everything was fine running the hardwood lignetics, I may just have to end up returning the rest and buying hardwoods.

Any ideas?

Did you clean the venting and internal exhaust pathways? Do you have an OAK (outside air kit)?

A good cleaning is always the first thing to try. But once done, if problems persist, just try a bag or two of your old brand of hardwoods.

I can say that the black sooty ash was the reason I stopped using softwoods and returned to hardwood. Just work better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.