New house, new Woodstock IS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCRit

Jan 21, 2013
Long time lurker..

Hello all, I've learned a lot over the last few years, my thanks to everyone. I've especially followed the Ideal Steel through Beta testing last year, as it fits my design needs. So I just put a deposit down for one, to be delivered later this summer when we will be building. Recently retired, and we will be building about 90 miles east of St. Louis. House will be a 3/2 ranch with a walkout basement, 2000sf main, fully insulated basement with ~750sf finished. It will be a Kodiak Steel home with R10 basement floors, R30 basement walls by Superior Walls foundation company.

Main floor will have R28 walls-9' ceilings, with R45 attic. Primary heat will be a Carrier Hybrid system (AC/heat pump + 98%eff LP furnace), which performs well in our current home. However, we intend to heat between Nov-Mar with the IS to reduce/eliminate LP costs. The stove is rear vent through the wall to a clean-out T and 20-22' straight up (enclosed in a chase up to the attic), double wall stainless (Selkirk or DuraVent). I have ~25acres of trees and lots of other cut wood available. The vents on the wall behind the stove will be AirShare powered vents to bring air straight down (11'-insulated pipe) to two lower bedrooms (when needed, which won't be often).

None of the interior walls are load bearing, which is why I could open up the floor plan. The small door to the right of the stove will be a small wood storage compartment. I will have a local stove company install the IS and help with building the 8” hearth and mantle wall (I have the stove spec manual for clearances). Have I missed anything?
7cdc0192-28d6-4b7c-9e19-ccb2cf0ce850_zps360c85e3.jpg
6d55e118-bc3b-4d9f-ad92-f67171a121d1_zps2dd8be1b.jpg
49b2c448-dda1-4d20-b350-e32f21460e64_zpsoeyqvzvb.jpg

Welcome to the Ideal Steel club! You will absolutely love this stove with all of that insulation in a new house. Will you be using an outside air kit? You might need one if the house is really tight.

Not much but I don't see any cords of wood drying already in your picture. ;)

With that wood storage room: Be careful with little critters waking up and taking a liking to your walls. Check also with your local building code whether those power vents so close to the stove and feeding air to those bedrooms is ok. If those are not used very often I would opt to just heat them with the furnace when the need arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.