New House with Hearthstone and Jotul 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris1927

Feb 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi. I just bought a house that has two woodstoves. There is a Jotul 3 in the basement, and a Hearthstone in the living room. I am somewhat familiar with the Jotul 3. I think the Hearthstone is a Heritage (could be wrong), but of the previous generation. I don't think there is a catalyst. I did not see a bypass lever on the right side of the stove. Could anyone out there give me inforation about how many versions of the Heritage were made, and if I am correct about there being no catalyst? Thanks.

Last edited:
See if there is a tag in a clip on the bottom of the stove. My HS has one with all the info on it clipped under the back right hand corner.

There are 4 versions of the Heritage. Once the stove is id'ed you can get the manual here:
There are also several versions of the Jotul 3. Look on the back of the stove for the UL label to identify it.

Believe there was 3 or 4 versions of the Heritage, one had cast side door, one version had soapstone door, one was revised looks, not sure of all the details. If you want history hearthstone has a sight hearthstonetech.com that would tell you. The Jotul 3 had the original 3, the catalytic model, and the clean burn version Jotul 3CB. The last one was obviously the best, very venerable heater, only "shortcoming" in most people's minds was the shorter ideal 15-16" pieces of wood, to get through the door. Very durable stove though. Both stoves are nice heaters. Good dry seasoned wood will make them perform great...

Sorry BG, did not see your post... TY friend.

I closed on the house today. I haven't had a chance to find out where to look to identify the Hearthstone yet. But here's the tag on the back of the Jotul 3. It says Manufactured February 2011. Jotul F 3. So it seems like it's the Jotul 3CB. Is that correct?

Yes, that should be an F3CB.

I have still not identified the Hearthstone stove. Here are pictures. I do not see anything on the stove identifying the model. It will accommodate at least a 20 inch log, maybe 21.
There is some surface rust. Not sure if the trivet the previous owners had, if they let that overflow or something? Is it safe to use naval jelly to take that off?
Also, seems like the door latches need adjustment.

Pretty stove. It's strange there is no I'd on it. Did you check on the bottom for the tag? Mines clipped there.

Also be sure to read about the yearly start up fires. You need a couple of very small fires to get the moisture out of the soapstone before you burn hot so they don't crack.

I would also use a hand held IR thermometer to find the true hot spots on the stove. My top runs up to 150 deg cooler than the actual hottest stones.

Thanks for the advice about using an IR thermometer to find the hot spots. I did read about the importance of yearly start up fires.

I found this imprinted under the front ash lip. I'm assuming 2010 is the year it was manufactured?

Googling 2010-255 gives me Hearthstone Heritage?

Reactions: Pinesmoke
Found and old thread here and did some digging. It appears to be a Heritage1 8021. Pics of that stove show the same ornate cast iron and the dual door setup.

You may try talking to Hearthstone or a dealer with that little bit of information and see where it goes.

The older thread said @Highbeam had one. He can probably verify.

Reactions: stoveliker
That looks just like my old hearthstone heritage I bought new in about 2007. There should be a metal tag attached to the stove with a cable in back. No catalyst. A nice looking heater that kept us warm for about 6 years, 30 cords.

As far as durability, The latches suck. So do the hinges.

Reactions: Pinesmoke
Thanks. I will look for the metal tag. Are you talking about the door handle mechanism with the thin, metal piece on the inside that latches the door in the pictures below? I noticed right away these are not working properly. Do they just need adjustment or replacement? Thanks.