New insert and burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Felix5513

Jan 20, 2016
Robbinsville,NC
Hey all. Just installed this insert (Englander 13 NC-I) because it was given to me and we wanted a stove in our new-to-us house that we moved into this year. This is the fourth stove I've used so I'm pretty familiar with wood burning stoves ( I have 18% and less moisture content in about 2 full cords of wood); in other words, I know all the basics of installation, EPA efficiency, and very dry wood.
I am looking into the IS Woodstock stove to replace this in the next five years as I can already tell the insert is not very efficient.
This is my question: with the firewood that I do have ,which ranges from 15% to 18%( checked with moisture meter after splitting, pretty accurate), can I run the insert on low as much as possible to increase the burn times and save on wood consumption? I only get MAX 4 hours on low as it is.

Attachments

• MVIMG952019112195115327.jpg
    MVIMG952019112195115327.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 83
4 hrs seems a bit short, how are you loading the insert? If draft is sufficient you should be able to turn down the air as soon as the fire starts burning briskly. How soon are you turning down the air?

Also, is the stove connected to a full stainless liner? How tall is the liner?

@Dix how do you load your 13-NC?

Reactions: Dix
I load it East to West but it's a small firebox so it's hard to fit alot in there. Once the stove is hot(morning), I turn it down pretty quick. I've even loaded it full and kept it shut down but once it gets going, i still only get 4 hours.
We did put in a new stainless liner. I think the run is about 24 feet, but I'm not sure.

Depending on wood species and how you define burn time, 4hrs isn't unreasonable for a small stove.
Turn the air down as much as you can/want while maintaining a clean burn.

4 hrs seems a bit short, how are you loading the insert? If draft is sufficient you should be able to turn down the air as soon as the fire starts burning briskly. How soon are you turning down the air?

Also, is the stove connected to a full stainless liner? How tall is the liner?

@Dix how do you load your 13-NC?

I start the coal bed fire N to S, taking advantage of the air from the dog house, maintain as low of a coal bed that I can to have the ability to "stuff it", which is E to W.

4 hour burn max, 6 hours of heat max. Over nights are easy, just throw 2 pieces in when you get up at night, and you can fire off from the coals in the morning.

Love my 13, just wish the firebox was bigger.

Reactions: Merc1973