New Insert HI2450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvd1217

Feb 12, 2023
NYC
New Insert:

I’m looking to get a HI2450/Hampton2450. Good unit? Bad unit? So so unit? I have a 2200 square foot colonial. The fireplace is family room that is on other side of house from stairs so don’t expect to get up there but the main room and a couple adjoining rooms to heat would be nice. I’d probably burn the days I’m off from work so not 24/7 but days I’m off 24hrs. Last item I have a raised hearth and the mantle sits about 38 inches above seems like clearance is close. But can I get away with it or put a shield up? I wonder if they are extra generous on clearances for insurance reason.
Chimney sit on outside Wall about 18’. Thanks!

It depends on the depth of the mantel. The insert needs 14" clearance for a 3" deep mantel and 17" for a 12" deep mantel. The insert top is at 21".