New Insert Install Question!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

willcanada

Nov 24, 2023
Canada
In the process of replacing my old wood burning insert with a new one.

I have the new one in and the liner inserted, but the liner bottom is all dented and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions here! It’s basically a 45 degree angle directly up from the insert so I can’t put a big adapter in between the liner and the insert.

Need to get this air tight somehow!

IMG_8316.jpeg IMG_8315.jpeg IMG_8314.jpeg

If it's savable it looks like it will need to be removed and beat round again, preferably on an anvil. How large is the gap at the flue hole entrance to the stove?

I would just hammer it out right there in place

Going to hammer it flat, use some self tapping screws and L brackets, and then stove cement and metal tape!
Skip the metal tape. It's not rated for flue temps.

an idea I had while looking at it - I would try to press something like a hammer head against the bent section after doing a few light taps with the hammer, and "press and drag" it towards you, so that it flattens out the metal and sort of tries to "pull" the metal towards the opening. (To avoid hitting it too hard with the hammer and potentially cracking something once its almost completely flattened)

Don't forget to post pics of the end result once you are done

an idea I had while looking at it - I would try to press something like a hammer head against the bent section after doing a few light taps with the hammer, and "press and drag" it towards you, so that it flattens out the metal and sort of tries to "pull" the metal towards the opening. (To avoid hitting it too hard with the hammer and potentially cracking something once its almost completely flattened)

Don't forget to post pics of the end result once you are done
It's a steel stove. You can hammer it pretty hard with no problem

Reactions: Shrewboy
Thank you for all of the help these past few days!!

Just waiting for the cement to cure for 24 hours (imperial hi temp cement) and then good to go!

What an adventure.. haha

IMG_8360.jpeg IMG_8367.jpeg IMG_8366.jpeg IMG_8368.jpeg

Reactions: Shrewboy
Thank you for all of the help these past few days!!

Just waiting for the cement to cure for 24 hours (imperial hi temp cement) and then good to go!

What an adventure.. haha

View attachment 320196 View attachment 320197 View attachment 320198 View attachment 320199
Looked good that cement will crack and fall out/off it’s not a big deal but if it exposes big gaps you will start pulling more cold air into the liner and possibly increase the amount of creosote. Best plan is to sweep after your first cord or month.

That cement is going to offgas on your first fire and smell like chemicals along with the rest of the insert if this is the first fire in it.

For sure - read that in the manual too, was not too bad! I'm sure it'll smell like chemicals for the first few fires!

In the process of replacing my old wood burning insert with a new one.

I have the new one in and the liner inserted, but the liner bottom is all dented and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions here! It’s basically a 45 degree angle directly up from the insert so I can’t put a big adapter in between the liner and the insert.

Need to get this air tight somehow!

View attachment 320132 View attachment 320133 View attachment 320134
I had this same issue after I upgraded my stove. For anyone else needing to do this in the future, a ball peen hammer works best, advise from bhollar that worked a lot better than a standard hammer

Reactions: willcanada