New insert ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepulvd

Dec 27, 2014
Oak harbor, wa
I am in the search of a insert. It's to supplement my basement stove. The local retailer sells PE, Regency, Enviro and BK. Both stoves will be heating over 1000sqft . This is the measurement any ideas which stove would work

Attachments

• New insert ideas
    uploadfromtaptalk1421210782265.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 131
You have good choices. They're all good stove companies with good products.

Not sure about those, but the Buck 91 would fit in there, although it would be snug on the height, and tough to connect the liner. I agree with bg, those are some good brands...go to their websites and get the manuals, they specify fireplace minimum dimensions...

That's plenty of room to fit pretty much any insert in there. If it only needs to heat 1000 sqft something ~2 cu ft should be sufficient. PE Super/T5 would be a good choice as well as Regency F2300. BlazeKing Princess when you want longer burn times and more even heat output. Enviro 1200 series will be enough for supplemental heat but you may not get quite an overnight burn. The 1700 series would also be ok although it is possible that you will rarely fill it up.

We just added a Lopi 1750i upstairs, and we have a pre-EPA dragon downstairs. While the dragon could handle heating the entire house (2300+ sq ft), it was difficult to keep the bedrooms (upstairs, at the other end of the house) at 68-70 without melting in the lower level, where it would easily hit 90. One question for you -- is your upstairs open to the downstairs, such as in a contemporary or split level? Ours has an open staircase, and the heat from the dragon obviously rises. This means that we must alternate the stoves (while one is dying down the other one is cranking up). It took us a few weeks to get it right, because if we had them both going hot, we quickly started to melt in here, even when we were at -7 outside (who knew I could get the main living area to 88 degrees and the bedrooms to 80 when it's below zero outside?). We have found that even though they are on different floors, they need to work together as a team, especially since there is no way to keep the heat from the dragon from rising to the second level. The stove we went with is rated for1200-2000 square feet, but clearly we could have gone with something smaller since the dragon helps out. Just something to consider....

I'm in the same climate as you and heat my <1200sf house with a 1.6cf Lopi. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them. They all have good reputations.

enjoy the luxury of the BK Queen insert burn time. If you like the look and can handle the price, it is exactly what I would install.

Status
Not open for further replies.