New install!!! First Stove!!! Can't wait to burn!!! Pics!!!(Harman TL300)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziprich

Sep 19, 2011
Western Md (Hagerstown)
I'm so excited about my new stove. I just had it put in this Monday, and i can't wait to burn some wood. I put the stove in my basement, and plan to cut floor vents in my floors to let the heat up to my whole house. The original plan was to just use the wood heat during the really cold nights. Now that I'm into it I'm hoping to mostly use wood heat. My house is only 1500 sq feet so i think it will work. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• rc 190.jpg
    rc 190.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 632
  • rc 196.jpg
    rc 196.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 589
  • rc 201.jpg
    rc 201.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 620
  • rc 204.jpg
    rc 204.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 644
good looking stove

Looks pretty clean and sweet. Did you do the chimney yourself? Whose is it?

How are you planning to finish the dirt hole?

That's how it starts. Only use the wood stove for cold nights and then suddenly you're blowing through 5 cord.

Install looks great. I like the problem solving - digging the hold for the chimney.

Youll love it...watch you PVC drain right behind. Cant tell the distance but hot sewage...about as worse a problem i can imagine or smell.

I won't even start on how much of the heat the basement walls will rob. But isn't that a whole bunch of Class A to be held up with just a tee and roof brace?

Just asking because I don't know.

Pretty soon you'll have a chair down there, a small table and a lamp, maybe a rug. Your honey will be calling down the stairs to see if you're ever coming up...

BrotherBart said:
But isn't that a whole bunch of Class A to be held up with just a tee and roof brace?

I see 2 wall bands along the way up the wall. Looks OK to me. :)

smed said:
BrotherBart said:
But isn't that a whole bunch of Class A to be held up with just a tee and roof brace?

I see 2 wall bands along the way up the wall. Looks OK to me. :)

Great. Thanks. The old eyes ain't what they used to be.

Burn on.

Looks good!

Happy burning,
Bill

maxed_out said:

I have a custom made window well coming in tomorrow, also going to do at least a foot of gravel in the well. AES Hearth place did the install. i dug the hole.

Stump_Branch said:
Youll love it...watch you PVC drain right behind. Cant tell the distance but hot sewage...about as worse a problem i can imagine or smell.

The pipe is galvinized steel i was told it would be fine.

BrotherBart said:
I won't even start on how much of the heat the basement walls will rob. But isn't that a whole bunch of Class A to be held up with just a tee and roof brace?

Just asking because I don't know.

I know my basement will take lots of the heat. The plan is to finish the basement soon. That should help, but for this year i guess i will have to deal with it.

Thanks to everybody for the tips and comments. i am a total junky, this is the first year i cant wait intill the cold weather. My bigest fear is that the first night on slightly cold weather, i will fire it up and run my family out of the house!!!

Ziprich said:
maxed_out said:

I have a custom made window well coming in tomorrow, also going to do at least a foot of gravel in the well. AES Hearth place did the install. i dug the hole.

Looks like a lot of rock for a relatively small hole. Did you expect to find that much there?

BeGreen said:
Ziprich said:
maxed_out said:

Looks like a lot of rock for a relatively small hole. Did you expect to find that much there?

No i defianantly didn't expect that much rock. it was my Sunday afternoon surprise! I dug it by hand so at some points it was hard to get a good swing with the pick while I was deeper in the whole, but eventually they broke up.

I had to do pretty much the same thing on my install, dig a hole for the "T". I formed up some walls and filled them with concrete, stripped the forms, bolted on a sill plate, and covered with some treated plywood (leaving proper clearances of course).

I was going to leave it open, but it quickly filled with leaves and stuff...which is a pretty big fire hazard. If you don't have plans to do that already, you should make some.

cmonSTART said:
That's how it starts. Only use the wood stove for cold nights and then suddenly you're blowing through 5 cord.

Install looks great. I like the problem solving - digging the hold for the chimney.

That's how it starts for so many of us . . . "Oh, I'll just burn when I'm home on the weekends and in the evenings" . . . and then one discovers how easy it is and warm it is . . . the light shows . . . and well before you know it you're burning 24/7 and not missing the oil/propane/gas bill every other month.

firefighterjake said:
cmonSTART said:

That's how it starts for so many of us . . . "Oh, I'll just burn when I'm home on the weekends and in the evenings" . . . and then one discovers how easy it is and warm it is . . . the light shows . . . and well before you know it you're burning 24/7 and not missing the oil/propane/gas bill every other month.

Same here. My goal starting out was to cut the propane bill in half. Now I freak out on those very rare occasions when I hear the boiler kick on. First thing I do when I wake up in the morning is feel the baseboards to make sure they are cold...

lukem said:
firefighterjake said:
cmonSTART said:

Same here. My goal starting out was to cut the propane bill in half. Now I freak out on those very rare occasions when I hear the boiler kick on. First thing I do when I wake up in the morning is feel the baseboards to make sure they are cold...

Hehheh . . . my wife suggested running the oil boiler the other day just to make sure it works OK . . . that thought is akin to someone running their fingernails on a chalkboard . . . and yet I know we should do it just to make sure it still works . . . I just picture dollar bills being burned up whenever the boiler kicks on.

Status
Not open for further replies.