New install glass door question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colophoto

Jan 3, 2014
denver
Hi everyone,
I'm working with my first insert ever. I got the vermont castings Montpelier largely because of its increased viewing area. We've had about 5 fires overall, two overnight. We are burning pine that was sold to me as seasoned for a year - it feels light is free of sap and makes the lighter sounding thunk when banged together - seems dry to my untrained brain. I'm in CO where 30% humidity is a humid day. Yesterday I burned for about 4 hours and put a single large split piece onto the coals, it ignited in under a minute which my sales guy said is how it should be. I didn't put more in because I wanted just a little more heat for a it. I burned it with the air control open for 10-15 min and then stopped halfway down. The fire looked just right, low pleasant flames. Went to bed and this am I'm looking at the fireplace and the door is a dirty mess, I can barely see through it. The log is also now a roughly 1" thick piece of charred wood. I was surprised it didn't burn all the way. It is warm, but I can touch it with o injury. It looks like the wood settled against the front lower air inlets, but they don't seem totally blocked.
The glass cleaned right up with some ash and damp paper towel, but I can't believe it's right for it to be so dirty so soon. This is the second time I've cleaned the glass after an overnight fire but last time I didn't pay attention at all to what I did. I do recall that the previous time I had only coals in the am, just as I'd expect. I've been told that because of our altitude I shouldn't stop all the way down, but so far I've burned wide open or halfway down, never more more seems to make a smoldering mess). I have no problems with smoke backing into the house.
Looking inside the firebox at the top air tubes I see that they are filthy, I'd expect some discoloration and such because it is a fireplace, but after 5 fires should I be able to scrape scum off with my finger?

My main concern is the glass, I want to see my pretty fire without daily cleanings. I also don't want to have to clean my chimney weekly because I'm making a dirty fire. Is this enough info for you to give some ideas? Am I just getting normal results and shouldn't worry?

It sounds like the wood might not have been completely dry. Dry wood, when hit together should sound like a baseball bat cracking with the ball. It's really loud. The glass might get a haze on it, but should stay clean.

When a pine fire burns down, all you should have is ashes. You don't get much coaling at all with it.

A quick test of the wood supply is to pick up a bag of kiln dried wood that you find at the grocery store or convenience store and burn that. If you find your wood isn't as dry as you'd like it, you can split it smaller so you have more surface area, mix in pallet wood that can often be picked up for free, or buy logs or bricks made of compressed wood.

I have the same insert and when I started out I was having issues with dirty glass. Reading the forums all pointed to wood that was not fully seasoned. I tried using Envi-8 blocks instead of wood and my glass was quite clear. In my second season my wood supply was better seasoned and I can run for several days and still see through the glass looking at a wonderful fire. I also found that smaller splits burn better but a bit faster. Look outside at you chimney. if you can see any smoke you need drier wood.

I can burn all day and night and in the end my ash pile is less than an inch.

The only other thing I did was to adjust the door so it closes a little tighter.

I have the same insert and when I started out I was having issues with dirty glass. Reading the forums all pointed to wood that was not fully seasoned. I tried using Envi-8 blocks instead of wood and my glass was quite clear. In my second season my wood supply was better seasoned and I can run for several days and still see through the glass looking at a wonderful fire. I also found that smaller splits burn better but a bit faster. Look outside at you chimney. if you can see any smoke you need drier wood.

I can burn all day and night and in the end my ash pile is less than an inch.

The only other thing I did was to adjust the door so it closes a little tighter.
Oh... I also use Rutland Creme glass cleaner. It works like a champ giving me crystal clear glass and is easy to use

Status
Not open for further replies.