New install question - sheetrock behind heat shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrettdp

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2008
NE Georgia
Was wondering if I should even bother putting up Sheetrock behind the durock/tile heat shield we are planning to build that will meet clearances. We will of course be sheetrocking the wall above the heat shield.But does it need to be done behind it since it won't bee seen anyways?

(Please note that this our current setup during demolition, not the hearth and stove we are trying to install. I realize it is not to code and am in the process of changing it.)

Attachments

• bare wall.jpg
    bare wall.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 660
barrettdp said:
Was wondering if I should even bother putting up Sheetrock behind the durock/tile heat shield we are planning to build that will meet clearances. We will of course be sheetrocking the wall above the heat shield.But does it need to be done behind it since it won't bee seen anyways?

(Please note that this our current setup during demolition, not the hearth and stove we are trying to install. I realize it is not to code and am in the process of changing it.)

I would sheetrock behind it just because it won't take that much time and that way if anyone wants to remove the shielding and stove they don't need to put up sheetrock. Plus, I would feel it is "unfinished" without the sheetrock and even though I wouldn't be able to see it, it would bother me lol.

What is happening a bit above this installation? That looks like Northstar pipe, not class A. Is it touching the drywall above? What is it connected to?

BeGreen said:
What is happening a bit above this installation? That looks like Northstar pipe, not class A. Is it touching the drywall above? What is it connected to?

Correct, not class A. It was a cheapo ZC fireplace. I ripped the fireplace out and put an insert in with 6" SS liner in the ZC chimney. It s not touching anything, although the picture may look as if it does. It is al being replace with freestanding stove and proper piping.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.