NEW INSTALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2010
long island
I just finished installing a Clydesdale insert. The draft for my break-in fire was disapointing. Could 45f degree temps effect the draft. How many break-in fires total? Thanks for all the help. I will post photos once I get secondary burn.

Doesn't help. What is the chimney setup and how dry is the fuel?

One story ranch 13' insulated flue liner (6''). I was just using kindling. The draft when it was a fireplace was amazing.

I wasn't home during the day today, but had good draft this morning when it was 40 °F . I'm restarting the fire now, and have good draft, too.

It will help if you put your stove name in your signature line, so you can get more help.

Maybe a pic of the install, too.

Welcome to the forums, neighbor !

Thank you, Eileen. I'm still new to the site. But I really like it. I can't believe how much I've learned or how much time I'm spending on the computer. Any way, it was almost like I had to leave the door open for the fire not to go out. Ken

Your welcome !!

First, I'd edit the title to include your insert name. That will help to bring the calvary :)

Second .... what are you burning? Name, rank, serial number, ya know the drill I am sure ;-)

Ooops, almost forgot. Open a window or windows for the burn ins. Helps get the stink out !

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I wasn't home during the day today, but had good draft this morning when it was 40 °F .

What ya burning for in those summer temps for anyway. :lol: Time to rototill the garden.
When the husky poop starts sticking to your boots, its time to plant.

Short chimney and warm weather. Bad draft is no surprise. No matter what kind of poop is sticking to your boots. :lol:

It is 42 outside right now North of Sixty and the 30 is coming up to a roll. Screw cold. Any definition of it. Gonna show you cat stove snobs how low and slow is done in a non-cat tonight. :coolsmirk:

Wait... what?! You've figured out how to get the 30 to burn low and slow?

-SF

Congrats! Don't be discouraged, it will take a little time to get it all figured out but I can't imagine that nice big insert won't have you toasty really soon!

newtothis said:
One story ranch 13' insulated flue liner (6''). I was just using kindling. The draft when it was a fireplace was amazing.

13' seems a bit short.

Hog, are you saying I may have to extend the flue. Before the insert, I had to weigh down the splits to keep them in the house.

Is 13" the total height of the chimney or just the height of the liner? I had a similar kit, but mine was a little over 15' from the stove up, a little over 17' to the bottom of the fireplace. It drafts fine. You did an insulated liner right? Is there a damper on your stove? (separate from the air intake?) And what was the previous fireplace Damper, did you have to ovalize through it or something? If so I wonder if something is amiss in there that you aren't getting the draft you need.

If you try it out again and you are still having this much trouble I would go back to your installer. You paid a pro and shouldn't have to wonder if your flue needed an extension I think. Seems like something they might have known. There are such thing as flue extender caps and stuff and your liner could have been fed all the way up if all you needed was a couple feet. I'm sure this can be solved one way or another, that's a great stove you got and should be heating like crazy!

It's 15' from the bottom of the stove to top. I'm going to start my second fire as soon as soccer practice is over. I'm hoping for better results.

Have to agree. This is a combo of a minimum height flue and mild outside temps. In this case adding a few feet of pipe could make a significant difference. As a test, try jamming a 3 ft. length of regular store bought pipe into the top flue and see if it makes a nice difference. No need for a cap for this, it is only a temporary test.

Here's a link to a video on a burning method that may help with starting the stove:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

That's a good idea. I have a left over piece of liner that I can rig up with a collar of some kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.