New Jotul Oslo finally running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
enough snow was off the roof so we finnished the chimney, and got the first breaking fire going 30 minutes ago. i will post pics tommorrow when its cranking ass. No stickey air lever yet

Good choice of stove....be sure to load using the side door; the front door collects ash that falls out when opening. A mess. The only complaint about an otherwise great product from a company that responds to customers and dealers.

Now: "jotul oslo, medium dutchwest, Stihl 041, 361, TW-5, cessna 180. " Got your Commercial or Private ? What's an owner of a 180 doing with heating with wood ? :lol:
'Splain to the unknowing about carb heat.

well actually i have a ATP, and a commercial sea plane rating. Im also typed in 500 series citations single pilot, and king Air 300. Never used it for earning a living. Im an electrical contractor, and I just enjoy the wood heat and saying F---- You to the propane dude. Ive been screwing around with a wood furnace for 5 years and finally said to hell with burning up 8 or 9 cords of wood every year. I only burn a shade over 2 in the shop which is big as my house so thats why Im dong the jotul in the house now. its been running for about 2 hours and im liking what I see, just a tiny small fire and it come up from 64 to 68 in that time. were still in winter here in mich at least for a few more weeks, thank for responding. And I dont plan on loading from the front, Ive heard that ash spilling thing before

henry

Oh ya Carb Heat, there is a high velocity in the venturi (pressure type carb) carb icing differs from airplane to airplane. right around 32 degrees is the danger area. the 180 doesnt seem to have an issue with it, but i had a old aeronca champ the was terbile. sometimes had to fly with the carb heat on a bit when the conditions were right.

Long time ago and far away, I soloed on an Aeronca Champ on a , get it: rolled snow runway in a potato field in Hadley, Mass. (next to Monseignior Craig). Our Amherst club had "doped" the fabric that fall, and installed skiis for landing. Not only did you freeze your a__ off ( no cabin heat), but the first few touch and goes ( when a novice pilot lands then immediately takes off) were more "bounce and goes" since I couldn't find the ground for a few Monty Python landings. Some company in the your area is making them under another name. The Champ stalled at ~ 35 knots, so landings were easy , but finding the ground with overcast sky and no reference poits other than white ground was fun and wet pants.
Haven't thought about that Aeronca for years. Thanks Henry.
You'll like the Oslo. We got the blue/black porcelain, with a cook top cast center insert.

I see your from Maine, i assume it gets as cold there as it does here in Mich. how much wood do you go thru in a season

This has been a tough year for us downeast, winter really began here in late November.
Our 2 stoves normally, from 2000 to last winter, use 4-5 cords for 100% heating. This year we're into the 6th cord and counting.
It's good that most of us ashmakers and firewood harvesters put away at least 1/2 again as much as needed in a normal winter. Just have to get off my butt and cut more. It's been a tough year in Maine for working the woods with all the snow on top of soft ground adding to our penance. (Read "whine")
We still have it better than our ancestors ( e.g. chainsaws) and most of the world. Locals born and bred here say that this winter is more like when they were kids.

thats not bad for two stoves

Status
Not open for further replies.