New Jotul Oslo V3 for the garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
I pushed the Jotul 121 to the side for the winter. I’m going to give this new Oslo a full test this year. There’s not been a lot of feedback on this stove, lots of speculation though. We’ve had some parts failures on one we installed, so I’m gonna give it a workout to see how it holds up. I hope the best for it. I know BG will move this thread, that’s ok 😉

IMG_4890.jpeg

I pushed the Jotul 121 to the side for the winter. I’m going to give this new Oslo a full test this year. There’s not been a lot of feedback on this stove, lots of speculation though. We’ve had some parts failures on one we installed, so I’m gonna give it a workout to see how it holds up. I hope the best for it. I know BG will move this thread, that’s ok 😉

View attachment 317076
Let us know I'm really curious what you find out

I just got through retrofitting new side shields and baffle for the 121, woodsman wants $1600 or the pieces… A buddy of mine will run it for winter to see how it holds up.

Good grief, the Oslo looks tiny next to the 121. What a beast.
I'm looking forward to progress reports. How frequently will the stove be fired up in the man cave?

Good grief, the Oslo looks tiny next to the 121. What a beast.
I'm looking forward to progress reports. How frequently will the stove be fired up in the man cave?
The fire box is the same size as the 121, it does look tiny though

Looking forward to this. Can you monitor flue temps with that setup? I’ve asked a local dealer if they’ve had any issues with this stove and they haven’t but it’s still kind of a newish stove.

Wow I would have sworn that was a F100, until i saw the side door cracked open. Looks tiny in the Pic. Also looking forward to the review.

Let us know I'm really curious what you find out
Same here. I installed a v. 2 a year before the v. 3 came out. From what the service techs have told me, the catalytic convertor inside can sometimes break down. It has a 25 year warranty if I'm not mistaken. We are going on our 4th season with our Oslo and have to say that we've been very pleased.

Same here. I installed a v. 2 a year before the v. 3 came out. From what the service techs have told me, the catalytic convertor inside can sometimes break down. It has a 25 year warranty if I'm not mistaken. We are going on our 4th season with our Oslo and have to say that we've been very pleased.
Yeah the old one was great the new one has had issues.

The warranty will only cover the first one so tge time frame really doesn't matter

Update:
This Oslo has been very impressive! Clean glass, overnight burns, plenty of heat for the space so far. I’ve been using under seasoned wood after the fire is established as a test. Doesn't care about it, burns fine. I can’t reproduce the overfire situation I experienced earlier, and has been reported by others. It’s been one of the best burning stoves I’ve used to date. Better than the early Oslo’s I’ve owned. It’s not sluggish at all like I assumed without a bypass. So far i can’t be happier with it!

That's a beautiful sight!

Reactions: webby3650
Looking forward to this. Can you monitor flue temps with that setup? I’ve asked a local dealer if they’ve had any issues with this stove and they haven’t but it’s still kind of a newish stove.
I really don’t monitor flue temps. I’m most concerned with fuel consumption, and durability. This stove is virtually smokeless, within a minute or two of lighting it. That’s a plus. I’ve been throwing some wood I just cut on a hot coal bed as a test, doesn’t miss a beat with it. I’m really surprised!

Reactions: bigealta and EbS-P
That's great news, Sounds like you got a good one!

So after nearly a full season of running the V3 I pulled the cat. I’ve ran it round the clock pretty hard for the season, and used whatever wood I had, it didn’t care if it was underseasoned as long as the stove was hot. I haven’t brushed the cat once, not even before the pic. I have 0 complaints after getting some first hand experience. I have a few complaints about the stove, nothing to do with the new combustion system though. I know folks have trouble with cat failure, I’ve seen it first hand, but this one held up perfectly. It’s the original design too. It’s been redesigned since this model.

IMG_0126.jpeg IMG_0127.jpeg

How tall is the chimney? Is it at spec? A little tall or short?
About 9’ of single wall inside and 6’ of chimney. I haven’t been particular about how this stove ran at all. I often let it rip just to see. I believe a stove should be able to hold up to some ignoring and a little abuse without total failure. It certainly has. My next test is to run without a cat to see how the secondary combustion does on its own.

Reactions: bigealta
Good info thanks for sharing! Are those cat cells similar to other steel cats or larger for more flow?

Can you explain?
They look exactly the same size as my steel cat.
How are these special ("larger than normal cells")?

Ok. Then I don't know what your (smaller) reference is, but my cat is exactly the same.
I thought this was standard.