1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New Member (been lurking) Buck 2700, input needed

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Electric B, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Electric B

Electric B New Member

Loc:
    Middle Tennessee
    Hello,
    I have been lurking for a while, great forum!

We installed a new to us Buck Stove 27000 as an insert this past weekend. I have a 8in ss liner installed. This stove has been a great improvment so far.

I noticed that the damper does not seen to close all the way? Is that normal / ok?

Another thing, on my old insert at bedtime I would fill it full of wood and shut the damper and shut down the air intake. Would the same be recommended with the Buck?

Thanks for the tips.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It makes sense that the damper would not close tightly since that would mean smoke would back up - so for the same reason a pipe damper has holes in it, the damper in this stove probably has a welded tab to prevent full closure...

How far you close everything at night is going to be somewhat dependent on the wood and the chimney draft. My guess is that your chimney is drafting very strong with that liner, so you will probably have to close things down pretty tightly. However, experimentation is the only way to really figure it out - and, it may differ with various weather (temps, humidity, etc.)
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Closing it down is what I do. I have a 28000. I however have super dry high quality wood that I feed it. Early on I knew I had old technology and realize the biggest thing I could control was the fuel quality.
  4. Electric B

Electric B New Member

Loc:
    Middle Tennessee
    I am burning wood I split and stacked last January. It has been stored in a shed I built. I have built up about a 3 year wood supply that is stored in a shed as well. I have been experimenting over the last few days and have learned alot. This morning there was a great coal bed left in the stove.
  5. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Unfortunately if it was oak, split and stacked since last January, its too wet to burn.