New Member intro and a quick question - Harman XXV Combustion Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShizzelDizzel

Nov 3, 2011
Wesminster, MD
Hello all,

I am Bryan and I live in Westminster, MD. Just recently I installed my first pellet stove, a Harman XXV. The install went pretty smooth and I even made my own hearth pad using some OSB, durarock and natural stones the wife and I picked out at a landscape supply. I have pics of most of the install on my iphone so as soon as I get a few minutes I'll update this post with the pics.

I do have one issue though. The combustion blower runs continuously after the first stove fire (as in all day if I allow it to, even though the stove has cooled down and not called for heat). If I unplug the stove then plug it back in, the combustion motor stays off. Another symptom is the glass seems to get dirty pretty quick as in so far I've burned three bags and (Nations Choice from TSC and Lignetics) had to clean the glass twice. Some research suggests the ES probe or the pcb (electronics) while Harman has suggested checking for a seal leak around the hopper or feed motor. Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to trying to help other here as I learn things myself.

Update on Combustion Fan issue - I'm starting to wonder if this hasn't been caused by the loose hopper knob. Ever since I've owned the stove, I've noticed the knob to be on the loose side and quickly becoming loose after a tightening. Yesterday I went to fill my hopper when the knob came off! I tried tightening it again and it just seems the screw is too short to keep it tight. So I replaced it with another screw I had laying around. This morning I woke up to a 6 Blink status....I suppose because my hopper was emtpy. We shall see......

fan only usually runs about an hour after fire is out. I would talk to the store where you purchased for warranty! Maybe an easy fix, others will chime in....and how dirty is dirty? I get a slight buildup on my glass (light haze) around the parameter after a few hours of burning and it just gets a little heavier as you go. The airwash does not keep the glass spotless, just prolongs the cleanings! LOL I have 14 bags and have not cleaned mine yet, I am not that fussy and also the glass is only half dirty! LOL I will clean next week when we have company coming over. Good luck and congrats on the stove! Pics, Pics, Pics! LOL

Hi Bryan, call the dealer because something is not functioning properly. The things you mentioned in your post are all the things I would tell you to check. Good Luck and call the dealer, let them figure it out for you.

For future reference, this forum and photobucket don't get along if you have spaces in your album name. Rename your album if it has a space in the title and insert an underscore.

A few notes about my install.......

My house was built in the '40's and is a 100% masonry house. Brick, 8" block, furring strips, plaster, 1/2" drywall (remodel). The thimble wasn't long enough so I extended it using some stove pipe I had laying around and riveted it to one side of the thimble. The other side side of the thimble slid on to the other end.
I made my hearth pad because I wanted the challenge and porcelain/ceramic tile looked "too nice" in our space. The wife and I liked the look and unevenness of the natural stone. I made it slightly larger than it had to be by accident but it still worked out ok I think. I probably saved about $200 over a pre-made pad plus this looks like it belongs in our space IMO. It was made with 5/8 OSB, roofing paper and 1/2" Durarock. I put a piece of roofing paper under the pad to protect the hardwood floor as well. The durarock screws were too long for me to screw down into the durarock from the top so I screwed from underneath. It was my first hardscape project and I enjoyed it although it was stressful trying to plan and pick out everything.
I went through my exterior wall by drilling several 3/8" holes through the wall with a masonry bit, then used a pointed masonry chisel to remove the brick and block and to shape the hole.
I am far from an expert but I did a ton of research before doing anything and I'm happy with how everything turned out. I just have to trim out the pad with some molding or something.

Comments good and bad welcome!

PJPellet said:
Hi Bryan, call the dealer because something is not functioning properly. The things you mentioned in your post are all the things I would tell you to check. Good Luck and call the dealer, let them figure it out for you.

I am in touch with the dealer and we are working together to try and figure out whats going on. Harman and my dealer have suggested a possible air leak with the hopper lid or front door. I've checked them with the paper test (closing the doors on the paper and trying to remove the paper). It doesn't seem like anything is wrong but my handle on my hopper lid was loose and I reported to my dealer that after my stoves' first fire, the front door gasket was sticking to the stove. When I finally was able to pull the front door open, a piece of the gasket (maybe 1/4") stuck to the stove. I guess it is possible that may be a problem but since a hinge is in that area, I really couldn't do the paper test at that exact spot.

Super nice looking install you've got there. The stone looks great. Nice neat exhaust vent too. I actually made my hearth pad larger than necessary in case I want to upgrade to a bigger stove some day. You never know. Think of it as a feature. :coolsmile:

PS Someone is sure to remind you to add a surge suppressor, if you haven't already.

Nice job on the install...looks great. And it will feel even better. C'mon cold!

Very nice looking install so far! I'm looking forward to seeing the molding/trim installed. Congrats.

Thanks for the compliments! I've read about the surge protectors but I haven't picked one yet. Thanks for the reminder though. :)

ShizzelDizzel said:
Thanks for the compliments! I've read about the surge protectors but I haven't picked one yet. Thanks for the reminder though. :)

Monster Appliance Surge Protector - 1110 Joules

$19.95 on Amazon

katman said:
Looks real nice. did you get your stove from Finch?

Yes I did. The Hanover, PA location.

katman said:
Great people. I spent some time with Dennis last weekend looking at some options.

They have been good to me so far. I have to ask if you are in Annapolis, why did you go to Finch?

A couple of reasons.

First, years ago (mid-80s) one of my friends started selling wood stoves from his home, quit his job and started Bay Stoves in Edgewater. Built it into a great business. Sold the business a few years ago to two brothers from California. Nice guys, but very disorganized and a little like car salesmen. Do things like give you the price of the stove, then add on another $150 for shipping to their store (for an inventory item). Then there is the cost for delivery to your home...well the list goes on. I hope they do well, but I'd prefer doing business elsewhere.

Second, I was referred to Finch by a friend a few years ago when I was interested in buying a Harman coal boiler. Dealt with Dennis Koontz. He knew the product, even though it wasn't a stock item for them. Also, since it would be a special order if I wanted to buy it, he expressed a willingness to be flexible on price. I like a salesman who knows if he has no inventory cost, he can offer to share the margin with the customer. The California guys at my local shop absolutely refused to even consider ordering the boiler for less than full list price, plus shipping and a special handling charge. And they said they would not be able to provide service support. I'm sure you know that dealer support is critical for a Harman product. Dennis said he would be available on the phone, and even though I am in Annapolis, he would get someone on-site if necessary. I believe he would do it. That is a good salesman.

I'm crunching my numbers now, trying to calculate whether I want to buy a pellet boiler and an accentra for my place near Annapolis. I'm probably going to sell the place in 4-5 years so payback really depends on the future price of oil and propane. If I buy it will most likely be from Dennis at Finch.

Status
Not open for further replies.