New member, just purchased a PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the pin that holds the stainless steel baffle in place. It needs to go through the little angled bit with a hole hanging down from the baffle, and into a hole in the back. It might require a bit of wiggling.

Okay, that is what I was thinking. The hole top center in the rear?

Yep that's the one. I think it shows it decently in the exploded parts diagram in the manual.

I finally got a hold of my busy chimney installer.... and have a date set in stone for the chimney pipe install.

He gave me an estimate of $2250 for double wall pipe installed form the stove through the ceiling, through a closet and out the roof.

Does this sound like a reasonable price?

It's in the ballpark. Is this with a double-wall connector? Does it specify the brand pipe? Does it include a chase for the pipe as it goes through the second floor or are you handling this?

It's in the ballpark. Is this with a double-wall connector? Does it specify the brand pipe? Does it include a chase for the pipe as it goes through the second floor or are you handling this?

double wall connector where? I'm sorry, I don't know much about pipe. What do you mean a chase for the pipe?

He told me the brand he uses the first time he came out but I can't recall now. I simply told them that I wanted double wall pipe from the stove on up.... and he is doing a full chimney install out the roof.

Did you get the estimate in writing?
The pipe chase is the framed enclosure that will be required for where the pipe passes through the second floor.

Did you get the estimate in writing?
The pipe chase is the framed enclosure that will be required for where the pipe passes through the second floor.

No, I have not received anything in writing yet. This was over the phone with the guys wife who seems to handle the back end of the business. It is a small family business that has been in operation for 30 or so years. I will give them a call and inquire.

What specifics should I get in writing aside from the chase, and over all price?

All the questions I just asked.

The connector is the stove pipe that connects the stove to the chimney pipe that will begin at the 1st floor ceiling.

The connector is the stove pipe that connects the stove to the chimney pipe that will begin at the 1st floor ceiling.

oh gotcha, yes I did verbally state that I wanted that part to be double walled, so that is in the quote. I'm calling them to get everything in writing.

Well, I am a bit concerned at the moment. I just spoke with his wife, and she wasn't aware that this job would need inspected...., or that a permit was required...
ahhhh.... huh?

2nd thoughts..... Her husband is going to give me a call because she couldn't answer my questions. Hopefully she just isn't as involved in the business as I thought.

sorry, i sound like an idiot... to me, once it leaves the stove its all a chimney lol.
It's all part of the flue system, but chimney pipe is different than connector pipe. Connector is slimmer and can be either single or double-wall pipe. Connector pipe radiate more heat and therefore has higher clearances. It is only usable within the stove room envelope. Chimney has much better insulation and lower clearances. The reason I asked the brand pipe is that some like Excel brand is more costly than others.

It's all part of the flue system, but chimney pipe is different than connector pipe. Connector is slimmer and can be either single or double-wall pipe. Connector pipe radiate more heat and therefore has higher clearances. It is only usable within the stove room envelope. Chimney has much better insulation and lower clearances. The reason I asked the brand pipe is that some like Excel brand is more costly than others.

thank you for taking the time to give me a little education! It is appreciated.

okay so i have an update -

person A, who gave me this quote, called me and left a message when I was at work. His wife forgot to tell him that I wanted double walled connector pipe, so that upped the estimate to $2600, an additional $350. I have not been able to touch base with him about the chase, but he did include in the message that he uses Duravent DVL connector pipe, and the chimney pipe will be Duratech double wall stainless steel pipe.

now on to person B.

I was in touch with person B a while ago when I was looking to purchase a stove and I was looking at a Regency at the time. This guy always answered his phone every time I called, and was more than happy to help me with any questions I had. He would text me, answer my calls answer my questions... ....the works.

I called him tonight to inquire about an estimate. I got his voice mail and he called me right back. He even remember my first name from speaking with him over a month ago. I explained my situation, told him I had a guy I was already talking to but communication was sketchy, and I was looking for another option.

He talked to me for over 15 minutes( i was on break at work) and was very informative, sounded like a motivated and well informed guy. He even said that if I didn't choose him for the install that its no problem and I could call him anytime if I ever had any questions about anything. To be honest, I almost told him he had the job.... but I wanted to touch base with person A first.

Person B said he did away with using mainstream commercial brands of pipe and strictly uses Ventis Class A pipe by Olympia Chimney Supply. Have you ever heard of this brand? After viewing their website, their products do appear* to be quality.

Ventis is a good line of pipe. No problem there. What was his estimate?

Going to go with the Ventis man. He quoted me at $2550 plus tax for a ventis double wall connector and chimney pipe. Also, chase construction included. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.