New member looking for help with a new to me stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerman

Oct 16, 2023
Missouri
from what I have been reading, I think this is a Blaze King. just wandering if is a good stove or should I not mess with it?

20230923_084803.jpg

It’s old. Hard to say if it’s worth anything without any pictures of the inside. My gut says it’s not going to be worth it unless you already have an 8 inch chimney and it’s in decent shape. Do these models have a catalyst?

I am not sure about the catalyst. I don't have any pictures of the inside, I will post some tonight when I get home. The previous owner has a 6 inch adaptor on it and that's what I currently use. I have a newer iron strike that I use now, I just added an addition to my house and was hoping this would be a better stove for my house. I have about 3,000 sq ft I need to heat. This would be located in the lower level of a ranch style house.

Yup, here’s a discussion on one very similar!

Since the UL tag is gone, it’ll have to be installed as an unlisted appliance. That’ll take up a lot of room. Maybe you can get replacement tags from BK?

Yup, here’s a discussion on one very similar!

I apologize, I read that thread yesterday before I became a member so I could not see the picture.

Last edited:
no, there are no markings, all stickers are gone
Not having a UL tag is a deal breaker for me. Some insurance companies will not write coverage for houses with un listed appliances.

Since the UL tag is gone, it’ll have to be installed as an unlisted appliance. That’ll take up a lot of room. Maybe you can get replacement tags from BK?
Nope.

Well, it is a King model (see the five holes in the pedestal). It also has a trapezoidal glass insert in the door, most likely a KT model, not a KE Model. (All KT and PT were non catalytic & KE/PE are catalytic).

If you have a picture of the top of the stove, I can confirm. Also, if it's a KT, it's a face melting unit of yore! It's also likely 60+ gr/h whereas the new KE is more like 1.1 gr/h. The KE would also be 25% more efficient.

No safety label means no install!

BKVP

Maybe check to see if a lazy painter simply painted over the labels. Then some proper chemicals might lift the black paint to reveal the label? I find high temperature paint to be pretty easy to wash off.

I would pass. They are great stoves, but caveat emptor! Likely after 35 years, there are parts that could begin to falter.

BKVP

I would pass. They are great stoves, but caveat emptor! Likely after 35 years, there are parts that could begin to falter.

BKVP
thank you sir for all your help, actually thank everyone for all the help. I have learned a lot in a short time about older stoves by reading several post on this site

Moved to the classics