1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New member wood burning insert questions restoration

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by knever3, Nov 30, 2013.

1. knever3

knever3 New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hello all,

I have a wood burning insert that is who knows how old. I refinished it a couple of years ago. It works good I guess, the fans both work but there a few problems I would like to ask your help with.

The insert doesn't have a stand type exhaust so I can't hook up a insulated liner, what can I do?

I do not intend to heat my house with this, do I need to buy another insert or can I use the one I have?

I plan to light a fire from time to time when people come over or when we are going to be home for the day. I work crazy swing shift so it's not practical to use it as the primary heat source.

I like the looks of the current unit so going to a new one would change that. Any help with these questions would be awesome! I have posted a couple of pictures of what I have and the refinishing I did a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed the glass, cleaned the entire thing, replaced the rope seals, sanded and painted the whole thing with stove paint.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It sure finished up nice. They make rect. to round adapters for stoves like this so that you can hook up a liner.
  3. knever3

knever3 New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Can you send me a link to what you mention? I thought the adapters were for the stoves with the protruding square outlets? I don't have anything to attach the liner to, it's flush.
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  5. knever3

knever3 New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Wow, that thing is HUGE! I don't know if it will fit. Thanks for sending me the link, I didn't know they made something like that.
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    There are several sizes and variations. I just grabbed links to the first couple ones I saw. What is the size of the rectangular flue opening on the insert?