New moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XJcacher

May 13, 2014
Danville, AR
Just bought a new moisture meter from Lowe's and here are some readings from some post oak that was cut
and split in May 2014. This was one of the larger splits and I did resplit to take the reading.

20150903_150106.jpg 20150903_150133.jpg

looks good to go, enjoy the warmth and clean pipes, around here it takes a least 2 years to get close to that reading. Stick it in some construction 2x4 and see what you get for a reference mark.

Last edited:
Close enough depending on ambient conditions, ain't rocket science( well maybe considering where we are now vs when the boys went to the moon)

I was suprised at the reading, I was expecting readings in the mid to high 20's Here is where it has been stacked, the shed is made like a free standing carport, it's 4 feet wide and 20 feet long and the wood is stacked in 2 rows. I guess that's what summers at or near 100 degrees will do for seasoning wood.;hm
20150903_162255.jpg

It has a calibration chip in the cap that is supposed to read 18.3 and when I used it it read 18.6.

The 'calibration chip' is nothing but a resistor, probably 500K ohm. Mine reads 27.3 at 1M. You can check its value with a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.