new mt. vernon ae coming home tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickemmys

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
I will be installing my new mt vernon tomorrow.
I'm also receiving an air kit, rear vent, clean out kit, and termination kit? All this means nothing to me.
Are these units hard to install? I can read a manual!
If you have any tips I would thank you kindly for your help.

Also I am very leary of burning 100% corn.
So I want to start with a pellet and work up to a mix. Is that best?

Any of your input would be great.
Thank you,
Heatme

yea it wont light corn.
it will come with a video on how to install it.
The AE's are to new for me to advise you on how to set it up.
In general, new pellet stove models are problematic, i would highly recommed that you have them install it. That way if there is a problem they have to take care of it, and not weasle out and blame it on installation error.

They say it will start corn and thanks for the install advice

what "they" arent telling you is that corn creats alot of carbon deposits, and those deposits clog the ignitor port that the self cleaning forepot cant get to, and then it misfires if the stove is cycling alot. So, my generic statement "it wont light corn" should be changed to "it wont light corn consistantly"

Would a mix be a problem or should i just stick with pellets

just mix it, and lower the ratio of corn/pellet untill you have the most amount of corn and the least amount of problems. i would start with 50/50 for a week, then move to 60/40 for a week then 70/30, etc.
this technolgy is very very cool, and its had a rocky begining like all new designs. So make sure your dealer is reputable, and will come out and tweak it as new firmware updates come out.
If you do a search for mt vernon ae you will find severl hits about this stove. Im a quad dealer, and im giving you the strait scoop.

my dealer stated that my unit was built in December of 2006. And that the problems are gone. I'm sure that is not all true. He also stated that most of the problems came from the inserts I am getting a free standing is that better?

you are buying a cutting edge unit, dont second guess your decision. Its better to be prepared for the worst then to go in it with ignorant bliss. Your dealer will be your only avenue if something goes wrong. So make sure that they are ready to take care of you if it messes up. Thats why i also advise for them to install it. then there married to the unit and you. There are no problems with these units that cant be fixed, its just a matter of having someone who cares about you and your stove. I cant help you here, and im one of the few quad dealers that participate here. I dont stock the AE's yet because i wait two seasons from there release date to carry any new product. The inserts had more issues then the freestanding stoves, but they ALL have the potential to mess up. Keep us informed on your unit, your one of three poeple on here that i know of that has one. The more participants we get the better, then we can all help iron out issues. What im saying, is there is very little history.
I met with the engineer last year and made a thread about it. Its a very very impressive unit.

I am really scared about this new purchase. I got a good deal I think. I paid $2900 out the door for all parts and unit. But now I wish i would have purchased the harman p68. I was told this was a solid unit.

that sounds like a great deal. They havent deliverd it yet, cancel it and buy the harmon if you want. I think you made a good choice with the AE, you just have to be willing on taking a chance with the most advanced pelletstove on the market. Are the dealers nice? responsive ? how long have they been dealing quad? how close are they to your home?

ALL pellet stoves have the potential to mess up, you should make your purchase based on the dealer not the product.

They are 30 miles away and they are the closest. He was very fast to respond to my calls and question and he gave me his cell number. He has been a quad dealer for 3 years and the distributer that he gests his units from is Williams Distributing and I know them personally that is how I got in touch with them.
Is a free standing easier than a insert?
Holy cow I freaking out, it's a girl thing.

you should be fine. Dont worry about it. Its crappy dealers that will give you a headache. Relax, and enjoy your new stove.
If there is a problem a good dealer will take care of it.

i've had my MVAE freestand for a month now and am generally satisfied. there have been bugs worked out of it -- the dealer has taken care of me (i'm on my third convection blower, second thermostat, second control board). i'm burning 100% corn, and it's been lighting it consistently.

my brother, on the other hand, has had his MVAE insert for a month now and it still isn't working.

seems to be hit and miss.

there's a whole bunch of info at the iburncorn.com quadrafire forum.

I can't believe you say you are happy after all the replacements. and Why doesn't your brother just get his money back. My unit will be installed on Saturday and if it doesn't work I think I will kindly ask for the older MV.

goidaho said:
i've had my MVAE freestand for a month now and am generally satisfied. there have been bugs worked out of it -- the dealer has taken care of me (i'm on my third convection blower, second thermostat, second control board). i'm burning 100% corn, and it's been lighting it consistently.

my brother, on the other hand, has had his MVAE insert for a month now and it still isn't working.

seems to be hit and miss.

there's a whole bunch of info at the iburncorn.com quadrafire forumuld.

i would be very dissatisfied if i had that many problems.
Heatme, this is not the norm, but its the potential this new model has. I would say thats worse case. This is why i keep mentioning the importance of a good dealer. Once the bugs are worked out, if any, you will have a kick butt unit. Your dealer said that your stoves manufacture date is trouble free. Please let us all know if this is the case.
Look on the bright side, this guy has gone through through two combustion blowers and two controllers, and hes still somewhat satisfied. That pellet stove must wake you up and bring you coffee in bed.

Were all the replacement parts really necessary or an educated guess? There is the possibility with a repairperson unfamiliar with the stove of just throwing parts at a problem.

yeah, the replacements were necessary. the first two fans made an awful noise, the first thermostat wouldn't let the stove run on the manual setting, the second control board was a later revision that was supposed to work out problems other people had reported. the tech taking care of us is probably knows more about these stoves than the tech support at quadrafire -- he has eight of these models to take care of, and he says they've all had issues.

my brother hasn't paid for his stove yet, no need to ask for money back. :)

i say i'm happy with the stove now that it seems to be working right. when it works right, it kicks out a lot of heat, is low maintenance, and will burn fuel i raise on my farm. in the long run, this stove will be a good choice. just takes some patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.