New Oslo 500 Is In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipew4

Nov 2, 2011
Central Maryland
I picked up my new Jotul Oslo 500 two weekends ago, it only took a few days after I ordered rather than a few weeks, and installed it last. I will say, it is a bit heavier than my old F3, took 5 of us, a few 4x4's and 2x8's, to get it out of the back of my truck and down the 6 steps to my basement. I had to finish extending my hearth a little and still have to get the back horizontal stove pipe set but I should be starting my break in fires Saturday. Good time to do it here since it's not too cold and I can still open a few windows for any smoke or new burning paint smell.

The search function on this forum has been great to use to find and read previous posts on break in fires. After reading a few, it is a comfort to feel a little ahead of what little information is in the owners manual about it.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Congratulations and good luck with the burn ins. Always remember- slow and steady....

And as always remember . . . we like pictures. ;) Of the stove . . . not of you . . . I mean sure you can post pics of you too, but we mostly like to look at the stove and hearth. We're a strange lot here. ;) :)

Welcome to the Order of Oddfellows with Oslos.

Oh yeah . . . gotta ask . . . color?

Love the OOO Jake

I love Jutul stoves, just wish they burned a little longer. I use a F 3b upstairs for shoulder season and when it gets really, really cold...which isn't often here in southern maryland. I wouldn't trade it for love nor money. For me, its a keeper. Was looking at the 500 and 600 to replace my PE summit but will probably go with a princess instead mostly because of burn times.

cass

Stove sits in the lower level so we just went with the plain matte black. If I had it up in a more visible location I probably would have went with the blue-black. Nothing special with the hearth, just plan old red brick, I'll post a picture later this weekend when I get it started.

The F3 it replaced came with the house so it was 20+ years old. It's sitting in the garage now. I don't think anything is wrong with it except for needing new gaskets so I may try and see what I can get for it on craigs list.

Wife would agree I fit in as an oddfellow anyway.

Snipew4 said:
Stove sits in the lower level so we just went with the plain matte black. If I had it up in a more visible location I probably would have went with the blue-black. Nothing special with the hearth, just plan old red brick, I'll post a picture later this weekend when I get it started.

The F3 it replaced came with the house so it was 20+ years old. It's sitting in the garage now. I don't think anything is wrong with it except for needing new gaskets so I may try and see what I can get for it on craigs list.

Wife would agree I fit in as an oddfellow anyway.

In that case you'll fit in well here. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.