New Pacific Energy NEO 2.5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No not that one, as i said it is right next to the adjustable air intake to the right, its a wide open hole about the size of a nickle or quarter, need to take of the bottom plate to get your hand under there to feel it.

I found the hole your talking about, going to close it up tonight as see how it goes. Out of curiosity where does the stove pull in air if this intake is closed?

It still pulls in air from the adjustable opening and also the secondary baffle on top has a seperate intake that has a butterfly valve, like a carburetor, that opens when the stove gets hot. It's located more towards the back and probably shouldn't be messed with. Just make sure you can pop out the foil ball with a screwdriver if need be (smoldering fire with the adjustable air intake wide open)

It still pulls in air from the adjustable opening and also the secondary baffle on top has a seperate intake that has a butterfly valve, like a carburetor, that opens when the stove gets hot. It's located more towards the back and probably shouldn't be messed with. Just make sure you can pop out the foil ball with a screwdriver if need be (smoldering fire with the adjustable air intake wide open)

Thanks so much for the info, I was just looking at the stove the other day wondering how the air is pulled in. I knew the secondary butterfly but nothing else. Have you noticed a increased benefit from this in regards to burning?

Thanks so much for the info, I was just looking at the stove the other day wondering how the air is pulled in. I knew the secondary butterfly but nothing else. Have you noticed a increased benefit from this in regards to burning?

You're welcome....Definitely noticed a difference in the secondary's coming out of the baffle and longer burn time, the uneven burn isn't so bad now, also leave the door opened a crack on cold start ups until the fire gets a good roar going, plugging the one hole really cuts down on the air, even with the adjustable wide open. Here's a pic for other PE Neo insert owners....

fig (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joneo
wow great info and great idea. I tried it tonight and have seen a marked difference in issue with the glass and also secondary burn. What have you done with the air intakes on the back and bottom , I have found the stove burns better with both plates on.

Back and bottom...... not sure about those so nothing I suppose...........because I was bored tonight, here's a video of my stove cooking away on minimal air, elm and maple.....

The wood is outgassing rapidly and the secondary air is burning the wood gas up. Shut the air down 100% sooner. I can do this in about 10 minutes with a reload.

Normally if i shut it download that quickly i get a smoking logs with no secondays or flames. Do your temps ever get over 725 degrees?

Tedy I owe you a pint of Guinness. Your simple fix has my stove operating they way I imagined it would. First thing is the glass is so much cleaner just a little dirty in the corner by the handle, second was the secondary and slow burn. Can't believe plugging that little hole made all the difference. Do you believe that little hole was just allowing too much air? Kind if like if there was a leak in the gasket?

I did the same this weekend with the same result. I have a 26-27' flue and this help a lot with controlling the fire. I can have secondary only fire now with the insert crusing temp of 500-550F above the door. Very pleased.

Boost air allows for for quicker starts and better burning with less ideal wood. IMHO it is not necessary when burning well seasoned wood in a stove with strong draft. I taped off the EBT which feeds the boost air in the older big PE stoves, after one season with it open. The difference was notable. But I have a buddy with a Summit and a marginal chimney (12') that has it open and it works fine on their stove.

Glad it helped you guys out as well.......I think that second hole is to help get the passing grade from the EPA....I think it's unnecessary as long as you have seasoned wood.

The second small air hole is to keep a steady flow of air at the base of the fire through the boost manifold. It helps with systems that have weaker draft or less than ideal firewood.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbopsi
Great looking secondary burn. Has this mod increased overall burn time at all? Cheers.

Yes it has for sure, but again I have very dry wood, if your wood is at 20% MC or better it would probably be best to leave the hole open.

Reactions: turbopsi
You're welcome....Definitely noticed a difference in the secondary's coming out of the baffle and longer burn time, the uneven burn isn't so bad now, also leave the door opened a crack on cold start ups until the fire gets a good roar going, plugging the one hole really cuts down on the air, even with the adjustable wide open. Here's a pic for other PE Neo insert owners....

View attachment 169702
Greetings! Are you still using this foil ball method? I'm considering purchasing a Neo 2.5 insert. Would you still recommend this stove or suggest something else now that it's been a few years? We have a 1200 sq ft ranch home, fireplace on outside wall at one end of house in main living area. Thanks!

Greetings! Are you still using this foil ball method? I'm considering purchasing a Neo 2.5 insert. Would you still recommend this stove or suggest something else now that it's been a few years? We have a 1200 sq ft ranch home, fireplace on outside wall at one end of house in main living area. Thanks!
Hi...actually its out now that im into my cold weater wood...oak and hickory. Yeah i like it...2.5 will heat your ranch no problem....i do wish a 2.5 would have fit flush in my fireplace....Ive been looking at BK Princess but just looking....not sure if ill swap it out or not....love the flush look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: joneo

View attachment 169702

@TedyOH etal. Thank you! Have a 2020 Neo 1.6LE insert; first season burning. Have great draft (perhaps to much) with a 15 foot insulated liner. Did some reading here and examined the best I could, the air lever. Your drawing confirmed what I felt and saw. It seemed that the 2 year seasoned birch and maple were burning too fast and hard to control in that I couldn't get things to slow down enough. So yesterday, I used a 3"x1.25" bar magnet to covered about 1/2 of the smaller bypass hole. It worked like a charm. First burn today was much easier to dial in a slower hot burn and the burn times are significantly longer. Thanks Again!