Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 insert coals and ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Havlikn

Jan 19, 2022
Wi
I have a pacific energy neo 2.5 wood fireplace insert. I normally and burning Ash Firewood. I will often load the fire box get the fire going, and then turn the damper way down to get extended burn time. I am quite surprised by the coals that are left over, they don’t really turn into Dusty ash. Am I doing something wrong?

image.jpg

The fire might need a bit more air later in the coaling stage. Has the wood been checked for moisture in the interior core of the wood?

unfortunately I’m not around to turn damper up at the end of the burn as it usually happens mid day or late night. I don’t have a moisture tester. The wood I am burning was cut five years ago and just split. The same result happens when I take wood I have had split for a year.

It’s most likely a moisture issue. That 5 year old wood didn’t start drying until it was split and stacked.

I’d find a moisture meter to be sure. You can also leave the air open a smidge more and that should help with the coals.

It’s most likely a moisture issue. That 5 year old wood didn’t start drying until it was split and stacked.

I’d find a moisture meter to be sure. You can also leave the air open a smidge more and that should help with the coals.
Agreed it may be moist but my split stuff from a year does the same

Depending on the species, it may take a couple years to dry after being split. How it’s been sitting while drying can make a difference too. Sun, wind, stack tightness, and weather all make a difference.

I have the pacific energy Neo 1.5 insert. I also, have what I consider to be excessive coals at the end of a burn (In the morning after overnight burn). Some have suggested possible excessive moisture. My moisture content is between 11- 14 % and I have similar coals as your pic shows. I burn a mixture of ash,oak and hickory.

How I measure moisture. I split a split (fresh split). I measure with grain and across grain, I also check at different spots within the length of the log. However, I do it outside so it is not at room temperature. I will check at room temperature.

The wood I'm using was split and stacked 2 years ago. I do pull random logs from each layer of my stack to check moisture. They all measure within the 11-14 %.

I received my moisture tester today and I tested a variety of wood samples that I have been using from the same pile. The wood is testing anywhere from 15-25% on both the ends and the sides of the split wood. I have found that I am burning wood during the day and tend to the damper more, I can damper the fire up more when the wood burns down to create more ashy dust than clumps. Leads me to believe its the long overnight burns.

I don't think it's unusual or unreasonable for even seasoned wood to leave behind some lumps around the back corners of the stove if the fuel load is never agitated throughout the burn cycle to un-bury the chunks from ash and bring them forward, and then, combine that with very low burn rates that extinguish the flames in the box sooner.

When I'm around to tend a fire, I usually make a point to re-arrange the coals and remaining woody chunks in the firebox at about 50-70% through the burn cycle, pulling everything tighter together piled in front of the air inlet and open the air control slightly from the low burn rate used to control the heavy off-gassing part of the burn. When I do this, nearly every piece of charcoal in the stove will be converted to ash and heat. If I don't do this, and just leave the stove alone, I can expect a few piles of charcoal chunks to be left in the back corners.

If you're getting a layer of cold coals left all over the firebox, even up near the front where they should be getting air, then you may be choking the fire a bit too much on those extended burns or the wood may be wetter than ideal or a combination of both.

Last edited:
I received my moisture tester today and I tested a variety of wood samples that I have been using from the same pile. The wood is testing anywhere from 15-25% on both the ends and the sides of the split wood. I have found that I am burning wood during the day and tend to the damper more, I can damper the fire up more when the wood burns down to create more ashy dust than clumps. Leads me to believe its the long overnight burns.

Try splitting one of those splits in half once it’s reached room temperature. Measure in the center, pins with the grain.

The wood is testing anywhere from 15-25% on both the ends and the sides of the split wood.
The wood needs to be tested on a freshly resplit round or split of room temp firewood. The test is done in the middle of the freshly exposed face of the wood with the prongs parallel to the grain. Press the prongs in firmly to get an accurate reading.

It's seems to happen to me when I have alot of ash on the bottom of the firebox ,that's where I'll find one or two. That might just be a coincidence though

My 2.5 and a few others I've heard of have particular trouble with this on the left side of the firebox. Maybe related to the blackened glass on that side.