New PE Alderlea Extended Burn questions/MFG. Date

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby074

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2011
Nova Scotia
Help!

I literally just got my new Alderlea T6 into my living room and mostly out of its crate when I hopped on Hearth to take a few seconds an let my back rest a bit!

Got to reading this thread : https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/running-my-alderlea-t6.117079/ which prompted me to wonder about my stove and how it will burn with the EBT.

I know that there was some issues with the EBT in older large PE stoves and there was some redesign to address it.

I followed a link in that thread to here: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm

Where I see that the new EBT design was only recently pattented, in 2013

Then I went to look at my stove, It shows a build date of November 2010!!!!

I literally feel sick to my stomach! This was a brand new stove, shipped direct from the regional distributor. Still in the crate.

If there was no design improvement in the last few years, I would not care about build date, but Im concerned that Im not getting the best stove for my $3000.

Dont know what to do know.. Stove store treated me good so I dont want to raise a stink with him.. but I feel Im being short changed.

I might call PE and see what they say. Maybe the change to the new style EBT happened before November 2010

Last edited:
I'd call PE to find out what's up. It takes a while between applying a patent and actually receiving the number for it. Sometimes it takes years.

I'd be a little cheesed. For $3k, it doesn't look like you got a break for buying the old model. It might be a little different if you got a big discount.

I would call the dealer before I called the manufacturer.

Thing is I know there are a ton of the old EBT stoves out there. Most have no issues and get good burns. If I was unaware there was an improvement, I likely would not be disappointed with the stove. But I AM aware of the improvement..

I guess the big question is whether the difference between series A and series B of the EBT is worth it.

I also cant believe that this stove sat on the shelf for 3 years! Not that that is a bad thing, a warehouse is a warehouse, but I cant believe they move so few of them. When I placed my order, they said they had 2 T6's in the distributors warehouse. Wonder how old that second one is?

Unfortunately if I end up sending this one back (frankly I dont want to, it was hard enough to get in, let alone back out!) that means no stove until well into January.

I have a bit of a dilemma here. I want to get this stove running. I want the extra heat and longer burns it offers compared to my existing stove. But I dont want to take it off its pallet or light it, in case I send it back (that assumes I even have that option)...

I had hoped to have it running tomorrow for xmas!

3 calls and a voicemail were made to PE at approx 2PM Pacific time. A little discouraging that there was no answer or return call, although it is understandable. They could very well be shut down for Christmas.

Last edited:
Email them. I had good luck email them. They got back the next day, but then again, this is Christmas Eve.

I'm pretty sure that you would be satisfied with what you have. I've read good things about the new EBT, but I don't think it is anything revolutionary.

The sucky part is, it sounds like you paid pretty close to full price for a three year old stove. I wouldn't have a problem with that, except the current model has been updated. I'm sure there is no deception on anybody's part, as you probably already know more than your dealer or distributor. If you choose to wait, I'll bet you would be doing all the work, plus having to wait.

If it was me, I would already have it burning, because I wouldn't be able to wait ;). I'd try to get a couple hundred bucks back, or a free blower, or something just to make me feel better.

Reactions: SKIN052
I would certainly be wanting that "longer burn time." Maybe they didn't change anything structurally in the stove to accommodate the Series B, and it will just bolt right up in your stove?

Last edited:
Ill likely try and finish the install today.

I still am curious as to when the changeover from Series A to B actually happened. It would be nice to have a Series B, but the A's are all over the place out there with lots of satisfied customers.

I agree, no deception on anybody's part. I just got the next one on the shelf.

Dealer is aware there was some problems and that PE improved the design. I suspect he figured that anything on the shelf now would be the new design, as did I.

Something else I just found was a small ~1/4" chip in the paint on the trivet. Its down inside one of the louvers on top. Nothing that could have happened in shipping because it is below the surface. It is rusted however, so it really stands out against the black of the stove.

Originally I was going to get a Jotul F600. I wanted an enamel stove for durability and ease of cleaning. My hand was forced into buying the PE due to clearance issues. I wonder now if it was a good decision?

Price wise, you guys pay significantly less than we do (for a Canadian made stove). I paid $2950 + 15% tax for mine. That was about 9% -10% less than other dealers were wanting in my area. I would have gotten the exact same stove anyways, regardless of dealer, because there is a single distributor for my entire region. I would have had to go to Quebec or Maine to get one from a different distributor. There was a "free" blower promo being offered by the distributor on both the T6 and Summit. Maybe they're trying to move some old inventory??

I would certainly be wanting that "longer burn time." Maybe they didn't change anything in the structure of the stove to accommodate the Series B, and it will just bolt right up on your stove?

I wondered about that.

Thats one of the reasons I wanted to contact PE. Maybe I could talk them into sending me the new piece?

Question now is, "Do I install the stove and try to work it out after xmas, having used the stove?" or "Do I leave the stove on the pallet, in the middle of the living room until after xmas, then try to get a refund, new EBT, or some other sort of compensation, with the threat of returning the unused stove?"

It has been my experience, (but not 100% from reading posts on this forum) regarding PE warranty/customer service etc. that the dealer is responsible to mitigate issues. You may be able to put some "pressure" on the dealer via direct PE contact, but I would not hold my breath.

I understand your frustration. I would contact the dealer prior to proceeding, and cross your fingers that you get a response from either.

My local dealer does not deal directly with PE. They have a distributor. In fact, the dealer didn't even know about some of the models of stove available. The True North wasn't in his sales literature so maybe the distributor puts that stuff together for the dealer.

Look on the paperwork stapled to the crate, or your manual cover, and it will denote which series it is.
You'll be fine either way regardless.
If you have to have the newest model, call the dealer and see what they say.

Look on the paperwork stapled to the crate, or your manual cover, and it will denote which series it is.
You'll be fine either way regardless.
If you have to have the newest model, call the dealer and see what they say.

Now that I looked carefully,

Mines clearly marked Series A on the Serial # plate on the back of the stove.

I guess its a question of if I can wait until the middle of Jan for a series B.. Thats even assuming that they will ORDER me a series B from PE. AFAIK their is still another T6 on the shelf at the warehouse. Likely it is a Series A too.

Dealer wont be back open until the new year I believe. Right now the new stove is a 600# paperweight in the middle of the living room. No way Ill be allowed to leave it in the house till the new year!

And getting it back out will be a nightmare. I had to take two doors off and one door casing (!) out in order to get it in.

Ill likely end up keeping it, and living with it. Im not going to lie, Im a bit bitter with this experience on such an expensive item. I dont blame anyone, certainly not my dealer. But for future reference for any future buyers, they should be aware that there is old stock still on the shelves being sold as "new", and if they need the latest, they should specify Series B and not assume that what is on the shelf is the new redesign.

I myself feel a bit stupid. I was aware that there were issues with the large PE's and that there was a re-design and Ive been over analyzing this decision for close to 3 years now, and missed this one glaring detail that there was a real possibility of old stock still being on the shelf that was not modernized.

Last edited:
It has been my experience, (but not 100% from reading posts on this forum) regarding PE warranty/customer service etc. that the dealer is responsible to mitigate issues. You may be able to put some "pressure" on the dealer via direct PE contact, but I would not hold my breath.

I understand your frustration. I would contact the dealer prior to proceeding, and cross your fingers that you get a response from either.

Thats my understanding too.

Have you tried to contact the dealer in the past few days? Most stove shops are pretty busy at this time of year and don't take long holiday vacations.

Dealers closed until the new year AFAIK.

PE never answered the phone nor responded to my voicemail. I'll chalk that up to time of the year and the fact that they could have been closed.

Is it worth "fighting" to get the Series B?

Is the Series B EBT mechanism field retrofittable?

You have to answer that for yourself. Based on the expression of dismay expressed here it appears to be important to you. This could be why you got a nice deal on the stove. Would you pay higher to get the series B? Or would you then have gone for the Jotul? FWIW, personally I am curious about the series B but am not disappointed with the series A performance. Caveat here - my EBT is taped off so all I would be gaining is a more controlled secondary burn. It's not that big a deal for me, though I have not looked closely at the T6 series B to see if they have done other changes besides the EBT.

I guess I am dismayed a bit. Reading my posts I think it sounds worse in writing than what Im actually thinking.

Im more disappointed that I missed the fact that PE changed from Series A to Series B and that what was on the shelf wasnt current.

As to cost, at approx $3000 for the T6 or the f600 it was a wash. Would the Series B be more than what I paid for my T6? I dont know. One thing I do know was that the blower promo was only running to mid January. Thats like $300. Unless there was a Series B on the shelf at the distributor (which there likely wasnt) than I would have missed out on the free blower, let alone that I wouldn likely have a stove until mid jan or later.

As you likely know from my other threads, im wanting the most heat, and the longest burn possible to heat my cold house! Thats why I wonder if Im missing out in not getting the Series B???

I would lite that sucker up. I have the "old" style EBT and in my opinion it works great. Concern yourself with dry wood and not the EBT, just my advice. Now mind you if I had asked for a 2013 model and got a 2010 then I would be upset.

Reactions: jeff_t
I have not noticed an difference in burn time between the old A series Summit insert I had, or the new B series I now have. Both do 12 hr burns between loads. Both heat well.
The ones with issues were in the 2006-2008 Summit insert range if I remember correctly.

She's in.

Doing break in burns now. Thing throws a ton of heat! And thats just using the wood that came from the pallet.

She is a heavy sob to install, Ill tell you that!

Pics and initial impression thread to follow.

Great to hear! Enjoy that beauty!
Now change that damn signature! LOL

:cool:
Sounds as though your fears are quelled, and your happy with the stove.
You couldn't have gone wrong with any model of that stove.
And as far as I remember, Alderleas never had any issues like the 06 era Summit inserts did.
Your good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.