New Pellet Plant in Northen New York?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catfishjack said:
Anyone heard of a new Pellet Plant that might be built in northern NY??

Do we need more mills or do we need more raw materials (quality hardwood dust)?

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Catfishjack said:
Anyone heard of a new Pellet Plant that might be built in northern NY??

Do we need more mills or do we need more raw materials (quality hardwood dust)?

Eric

Hmmm, If it drives the cost of pellets down: Hell Yah!

Why can't the mills grind there own wood chips? I'm sure there has to be a way to make pellets from wood chips or to refine the chips into dust.

The guys out there harvesting the trees are willing to work. The saw mills have little order's if any. The price of wood should be down?

There has to be a way to make a quality pellet, Thats reasonably priced. Without relighing on the building trades!

just my 2

jay

Some mills do use wood chips and some do have machines for entire logs.

Eric

Wish we had a mill near by. I'd be the first to appl for a job.

All we've got here is New England Barkmulch. They take wood chips from the tree trimmers. Color them and Call it bark mulch.

Makes them mad when you ask for wood chips. But at least there not going to the land fill!

jay

Seaway Timber Harvesting is in Massena NY. They used to service the Domtar paper plant in Cornwall. Interesting to note that they are currently selling off 55 of their properties.

http://www.currandevelopment.com/

"Curran Development Inc. is affiliated with Seaway Timber Harvesting Inc, a company that produces wood chips used in paper making and logs sold to sawmills. The shareholders and board of directors of both companies are Patrick Curran, Timothy Curran and Lee Curran.
Seaway Timber, in its timber harvesting business, has acquired over 14,000 acres of land in Northern New York and now plans to sell some of the land on the open market."

Cheers

Kenny

I think it is the one in Moreau,NY. They started the paperwork 2 or more years ago.
Late last year I read something about it. But the way the zoning boards up here
work I am not holding my breath. :-S

sounds like it passed

Dec.9 2008
Schenectady Gazette
dailygazette.com
MOREAU — The Saratoga County Industrial Development Agency on Monday granted economic development incentives to help bring a wood pellet factory to the Moreau Industrial Park.

Woodstone NY Inc., will be building a $15 million facility that will buy wood from the Adirondacks and other sources and employ about 30 people, turning that wood into pellets for woodstove heating.

The plan, approved unanimously Monday at an IDA meeting in Malta, is smaller than the project Woodstone originally proposed last February, with five fewer employees. The plan was downsized in response to market conditions, said Dennis Brobston, president of the Saratoga Economic Development Corp.

Woodstone has its headquarters in Hingham, Mass. This would be its first New York plant. It takes lower-quality wood, and converts it into the fuel pellets. The plant will be able to produce about 100 tons of pellets per day.

“It’s a good project for the North Country,” said IDA Chairman Raymond F. Callanan.

Dennis McLister, chief financial officer of Woodstone, said the company will have an impact on logging industry employment in the Adirondacks.

“We believe it will generate at least 100 indirect jobs, but it’s difficult to quantify that number,” McLister said.

The economic development benefits Woodstone will receive through the IDA include a sales tax exemption on building materials worth an estimated $98,000, a mortgage recording tax exemption worth up to $150,000, and a property tax exemption worth about $55,000 a year for 10 years.

Woodstone first applied to the IDA for incentives in February, but the IDA decided not to act until the company had all the needed approvals from the town of Moreau. That happened only in the last week.

Moreau Supervisor Preston Jenkins said the IDA approval was good news for the town.

McLister said Woodstone would like to start construction in February or March, and complete its facility within eight to 10 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.