New Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick31797

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2010
Canada
Well i did it bought a new Drolet ECO-45, and its up and running,runs very smooth and quiet, hope to get many years out of this.. I was very impressed with the information DVD i got with this stove, very well done, better then the manual..I also got the extension to attach to it , so it can hold more pellets..

My last stove was a thelin parlour 3000, i still have it and hope to get it running so i can have a stove upstairs and one in the basement..
I bought two new sensors for the thelin and that didn't fix it, next i will buy a switch...and the last thing to buy is the circuit board...and i have a feeling that is probably the problem.When i find the problem i will post the symptoms and the fix so it may help somebody..

Drolet make's a fairly decent product for the money, and parts are easy to get quickly, no USA shipping/fees if your in a bind..Glad to see your supporting Canadian products..

that was the main reason i bought it, made in Canada, and i can get parts at the local Home hardware store, they have some common parts on the shelf..

I have an Eco 45, been running it for three years now and I think it is a great stove. I had a little problem
the second year, my auger motor went but I put a new one on it and it's been working fine.

The one thing I can tell you is, you have to make sure you give it a "GOOD" cleaning once a month, you
have to keep it clean or you will have nothing but problems (I found that out the hard way). Once I found
all the little pockets I was missing it works great.

I heat my whole house with it (no other heat), 2400 square feet and it will keep my house around
22 Celsius when it's -20 outside on #3 setting.

I was Talking to the Tech, because when i first tried to run it i could not get it going..I forgot to prime the auger, after i did that it was fine, He told me the 2 filters they give you , do not install them, they will give you nothing but problems as they will plug up...he said he cant seem to get the marketing dept to stop including them..

It does look like its fairly easy to excess the unit to clean, with the sides opening up...

One question i have , is it easy to Diagnose problems with this stove, seeing it will show you codes...

One question i have , is it easy to Diagnose problems with this stove, seeing it will show you codes
Yes it is, if your board ever locks you out you can get the code off this site to reset it (I have it, I can post it when I get to my other
computer).

It does look like its fairly easy to excess the unit to clean, with the sides opening up...
There is a lot more to it then in the sides. I'll have to do up a little video on what has to be done, there is one spot that you really
have to keep clean and it is a pain to get at.

He told me the 2 filters they give you , do not install them, they will give you nothing but problems as they will plug up.
I've had them in mine since day one and never had a problem, they do collect dust but I just keep them clean.

I wanted to ask you what brand of pellets are you using, in my old pellet stove i was using Canawick, Canadian tire sells them ...

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I I tired the Canawick in my eco-65 and they have good heat but they burn slightly dirtier than the softwoods from Granulaco.

Last edited:
I don't see any pictures so you officially don't have the stove yet!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

i have not installed the hopper extension yet , but it will give me 140 lb capacity, i believe it is 60 lbs without it..
when i get it installed , i will take a picture so you can see what it looks like.

I've tried the Canawick but I found they burnt to fast, the stove ate them like candy (plus they are a little to
pricey for me), I get my pellets for $4.50 a bag

I use Comfy Cozy pellets, I've had good luck with them and they throw good heat.

New Pellet Stove

If your board ever locks you out and won't let you do anything this is how to reset it.

Press the “Mode” button and release
Press the “+” button and release
Press the “-” button and release
Press the “quiet” button and hold for 3 to 5 seconds.

where are you buying the comfy cozy pellets, thats a great price..

I heat my whole house with it (no other heat), 2400 square feet and it will keep my house around
22 Celsius when it's -20 outside on #3 setting

you must have a well insulated and open concept type a house,

I try mine tonight and just had it on the 1 setting as its in the living room 20 x 14 and i was sitting 3 feet from it and was surprised after it running for 5 hrs the temp in the room was 19c..my feet where actually cold.. I just thought it would easily heat the area, to a comfortable temp. Next time i will try it on a higher setting...

Those pellets are made here at a local mill, Kent building supplies sell them, I
have a Buddy that works their and he gives me a good deal on them (contractors price).

you must have a well insulated and open concept type a house
It's definitely not an open concept, there is only one way for the heat to get upstairs, up the stairs that come
down the basement. I have no holes in my floors to let the heat up (I wish I would have put them in when
I built the house, I could still put them in but it would be a pain in the butt now.

The 1 setting is not very high, you should notice a big difference when you start using 2 and 3. I pretty much
leave my stove on # 3 for the winter unless we have some nice days, anything above -10 I will
drop it back to # 2. Last night it went down to -25 and I forgot to turn the stove back up to # 3 (I left
it on # 2) and when I got up this morning the house upstairs was 18 and the room where the stove
is was 23. I cranked it back up to # 3 and in about three hours I had the upstairs back up to 22

New Pellet Stove
New Pellet Stove

Your Living area looks very nice... what do you have your air control set too, the tech guy told me to turn it off and then move it a 1/4 of a turn....
I notice on 1 setting the flame is not very high at all, maybe it shouldn't be.

Looks pretty cozy to me...whats the construction of those walls?R value?

It's just your standard 8 foot concert wall studded up with 2 x 6 and R12 insulation (if I remember right, it's
been 4 years since we had the house built).

That's not really our living area, it's more of a spear family room. It actually gets pretty hot
in that room when the stove in on # 3, I sit in their when I'm on the computer but that's
about it, we really don't use that room.

I keep my draft pretty much open all the way, I found if it's not open all the way my burn
pot will fill up to quick (about every 24 hr ) then I have to shut the stove down
to dump it, if I leave it open I get almost a week before I have top shut
down and dump/clean the stove.

I notice on 1 setting the flame is not very high at all, maybe it shouldn't be.
That's about right, mines not either (even with the draft open).

I still am not sure of how the convection blower works on this stove.. the manual says the combustion and blower motor are together, but when i look at the picture,in manual ,page 19 , i see two square items on each side and it says convection blower...

According to the manual its 1 motor with dual blades..........Your getting confused, the combustion/exh motor is one motor and the convection motor blows the air out of the vents that is another motor. 2motors in total. My eco 65 has 3 motors convection, combustion, and exhaust.

New Pellet Stove

yes i am getting it mixed up.. so the Combex is part of the combustion and exhaust, which is in the lower part of the stove... the blower or convection , are on each side, they look like a computer fan.

i also see a noise reduction button, on the control panel, that is suppose to slow down the blower fans but it doesn't seem to do anything

The noise reducer is a FAN HI, LOW speed for the convection blower only, however if the stove is too hot it will remain on high speed even if you push the button, as to keep the stove from getting too hot.

i guess on my stove the noise reduction doesn't work...

The convection blower speed varies directly with the fuel feed rate.
 When the “NOISE REDUCER” button is pushed, the convection blower will switch to its lowest speed. The convection blower will
remain at its lowest speed unless the stove reaches a certain temperature. If this occurs, the convection blower will go back to its
highest setting to cool down the stove. The low noise button will have to be pressed again for the convection blower to go back to its
lowest speed. The functions normally activated by this icon are not available on this specific model. However, the icon could be used to
access certain troubleshooting or programming functions

Status
Not open for further replies.