New PP130B -Need assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hack2Override

Dec 7, 2021
Ohio
Just recently purchased the PP130b stove and installed using the Duravent 3"pipe kit. Im kinda confused on the trim/feed rate.

I was told on phone that trim adjusts both feed and air. Going to the negative gives more air and less feed. I have tried going from 0 all thru -4 and see no visual difference in flame flame seems solid ' and feed rate seems to be same. Drops a round of pellets ever 9 secs.ish. Running the comfort control anywhere from the Low to 4 setting it seems no different in operation. Under standing with the comfort 1-10 it will shutdown when getting to temp, so far this thing has yet to shutdown. I have placed digital thermometer s next to stove on side and behind and around main room. Temps inside have been 78-86. Outside temps in 40s. It is burning 3bags roughly a day(24hour period). Currently running on Low(amber solid-continuous) and trim at 4. But even when switching to the comfort zone. It is constantly feeding amd never shutting down. What temps do this shutdown at and is 3 bags a day the typical?

Current setting (green light flashes 2x) and current flame . Auger feeds every 9 sec. And room is in 80s. Only thing that changes with comfort at higher setting such as 5 is larger flame,warmer room but never shuts off . Contact 9 sec feed rate

16389282961924047929312643866105.jpg 16389283746096549240754486530562.jpg

Stove will run till it runs out of pellets in lo or hi mode. # 1 on the dial, stove should shut down at about 65F. There is a room probe for temperature on the back of the stove somewhere, with a few coils of wire to move it away from stove. Might even be inside the back panel,for shipping. BUT it sounds like,by getting that hot in room, your control board or dial control is bad. Might want to make sure that room probe is plugged in to the control board. If so,call dealer.

Stove will run till it runs out of pellets in lo or hi mode. # 1 on the dial, stove should shut down at about 65F. There is a room probe for temperature on the back of the stove somewhere, with a few coils of wire to move it away from stove. Might even be inside the back panel,for shipping. BUT it sounds like,by getting that hot in room, your control board or dial control is bad. Might want to make sure that room probe is plugged in to the control board. If so,call dealer.
Under standard that on Low(amber) it will continually run) even on a setting 1-10 it has same response. I have the temp probe pulled out and on a stand mounted behind where the pellet lid opens with a temperature sensor next to it(reading 78) with comfort on 3. I double checked thermocouple connecter toake sure I didn't accident unplug(its seated fully). Plan on calling tomorrow

Reactions: Mt Bob
Let us know what they say. I also have a PP130 that I have run for the past 3 years I have been in the house. I will say that the dial thermostat/temp probe is not a great setup. I usually run mine on comfort mode between 2-3. I tried moving the probe around and didn't have much luck effecting operation. I have also messed with the trim, without much change.

The green light flashing different numbers of times signals what level it is burning at at that given time. The stove tries to keep the comfort level you set it to so it fluctuates between 1 and 5 I believe.

Mine will turn off from time to time when outside temps are a little higher, but we are in the teens/20s now and it runs pretty much solid.

Overall I am happy with the stove even though the temp control isn't the greatest. You can always add a Pellet Miser Thermostat adapter and run it off a normal room thermostat positioned where ever you want it in the room/house. Read about how the Pellet Miser works. Basically what it does is override the dial setting when the wall thermostat calls for heat and turns the stove on high regardless of your dial setting. So you could have the dial on low or even off. When the room thermostat calls for heat it will cause the stove to ignite (if you set the dial to off) and run on high until the thermostat is satisfied. The the stove will shut back off.

Same flow if you have the dial set for low except the stove would drop to low instead of turning off. You can set it to drop to a comfort mode too.

Your pellet usage sounds a little on the high side for your outside temps, but it makes sense if the stove is running higher than anticipated.

Let us know what they say. I also have a PP130 that I have run for the past 3 years I have been in the house. I will say that the dial thermostat/temp probe is not a great setup. I usually run mine on comfort mode between 2-3. I tried moving the probe around and didn't have much luck effecting operation. I have also messed with the trim, without much change.

The green light flashing different numbers of times signals what level it is burning at at that given time. The stove tries to keep the comfort level you set it to so it fluctuates between 1 and 5 I believe.

Mine will turn off from time to time when outside temps are a little higher, but we are in the teens/20s now and it runs pretty much solid.

Overall I am happy with the stove even though the temp control isn't the greatest. You can always add a Pellet Miser Thermostat adapter and run it off a normal room thermostat positioned where ever you want it in the room/house. Read about how the Pellet Miser works. Basically what it does is override the dial setting when the wall thermostat calls for heat and turns the stove on high regardless of your dial setting. So you could have the dial on low or even off. When the room thermostat calls for heat it will cause the stove to ignite (if you set the dial to off) and run on high until the thermostat is satisfied. The the stove will shut back off.

Same flow if you have the dial set for low except the stove would drop to low instead of turning off. You can set it to drop to a comfort mode too.

Your pellet usage sounds a little on the high side for your outside temps, but it makes sense if the stove is running higher than anticipated.
Noticed your from Indiana/Im Southwest Ohio so our outside temps currently are prob similar depending on you local.

After talking to Pelpro tech, they really only had to suggestions. Checking to make sure my Dial is calibrated properly (basically does the stove go off when dial is pointed to off. Secondly, pointing at ambient probe and its positioning (think they assumed i left still inside unit from initial opening.

So since u have had longer time owning/operating. The comfort mode is supposed to be set at a setting (example:3, and in reality this is prob just a temperature setpoint for max reading ). Once this temp is reached, the unit goes in shutdown, and then restarts after a said temp drop? Correct?

Assuming this is correct, based on what mine is doing, is it is never reaching setpoint, causing it to run nonstop and always feeding creating more pellet usage. Now i can this this unit def produces a good heat.What i have done, is take multiple digital thermometer and put 3 in front of unil( roughly 10ft away 6Ft up and 3 different directions) These three can get up to 83-86 at dial setpoint, but what i noticed is i have another meter behind unit next to ambient (ambient is pull full out of unit and mounted to wall) The meter behind is reading 7-9 degrees cooler. Makes sense since the heat is pointed forward. But this difference will cause me to never reach that setpoint.

Manual says probe needs to only extend only 2in out of unit, but extending it more into the room seems like a more accurate temp for room

After my response to pelpro, They are unsure, and since this unit is under warranty ( bought 11/17/21) they are sending me both a new dial board/ and ambient probe.

I do like unit, just trying to replace the dreaded baseboard heaters,

Reactions: Mt Bob and clancey
Noticed your from Indiana/Im Southwest Ohio so our outside temps currently are prob similar depending on you local.

After talking to Pelpro tech, they really only had to suggestions. Checking to make sure my Dial is calibrated properly (basically does the stove go off when dial is pointed to off. Secondly, pointing at ambient probe and its positioning (think they assumed i left still inside unit from initial opening.

So since u have had longer time owning/operating. The comfort mode is supposed to be set at a setting (example:3, and in reality this is prob just a temperature setpoint for max reading ). Once this temp is reached, the unit goes in shutdown, and then restarts after a said temp drop? Correct?

Assuming this is correct, based on what mine is doing, is it is never reaching setpoint, causing it to run nonstop and always feeding creating more pellet usage. Now i can this this unit def produces a good heat.What i have done, is take multiple digital thermometer and put 3 in front of unil( roughly 10ft away 6Ft up and 3 different directions) These three can get up to 83-86 at dial setpoint, but what i noticed is i have another meter behind unit next to ambient (ambient is pull full out of unit and mounted to wall) The meter behind is reading 7-9 degrees cooler. Makes sense since the heat is pointed forward. But this difference will cause me to never reach that setpoint.

Manual says probe needs to only extend only 2in out of unit, but extending it more into the room seems like a more accurate temp for room

After my response to pelpro, They are unsure, and since this unit is under warranty ( bought 11/17/21) they are sending me both a new dial board/ and ambient probe.

I do like unit, just trying to replace the dreaded baseboard heaters,

I am northern Indiana, just over the border from Hicksville OH.

As far as the way Comfort Mode works, you are mostly correct. The dial is supposed to correlate (approximately) to a temperature. The unit then adjusts feed rate etc to try and maintain that temperature. If check the blinking green light from time to time you should notice that it can blink anywhere from 1-5 times with moving the dial at all. 1 flash is the lowest heat setting and 5 is the highest. As the dial setting and air temp probe setting get closer to each other the stove starts switching to a lower and lower heat/blink setting to try and just maintain the temperature. If the air temp probe registers a temp over the dial setting with the unit running on 1 blink for too long then the unit will completely shut down.....then re-ignite when the air probe temp is below the dial setting. With the auto-adjusting nature of the comfort mode setting it makes the unit not completely shut down a bunch.

I am sure there is some algorithm programmed for this on the board and the changes don't happen super fast because of the nature of burning wood/pellets. Even if the stove drops the heat setting to a lower level, there is still a big flame because of the fuel it was dumping in prior to the change. It takes a bit for the fuel to burn down. Same goes for ramp up.

It does sound like yours is not controlling the temps very well. Hope your new dial fixes it.

In my unit the air temp probe is in the grate on the back of the unit where the room blower draws in air.

Do you have any drafts behind the stove? Are you venting through the wall with a thimble? Is your OAK hooked up? I wonder if you are getting some drafts through the wall thimble blowing over the temp probe and that is causing it to give you a false reading.

3 bags a day seems incredibly excessive for consumption to me, but I guess that is possible if you were running on the "high" (Power Level 5) setting 24/7. What kind of pellets are you burning? That shouldnt impact the feed rating, and it sounds like you have enough heat in the room, but just curious.

Hopefully the new dial control/board fixes your issue. Definitely seems like something is wrong with the logic in there.

Reactions: maraakate
Do you have any drafts behind the stove? Are you venting through the wall with a thimble? Is your OAK hooked up? I wonder if you are getting some drafts through the wall thimble blowing over the temp probe and that is causing it to give you a false reading.

3 bags a day seems incredibly excessive for consumption to me, but I guess that is possible if you were running on the "high" (Power Level 5) setting 24/7. What kind of pellets are you burning? That shouldnt impact the feed rating, and it sounds like you have enough heat in the room, but just curious.

Hopefully the new dial control/board fixes your issue. Definitely seems like something is wrong with the logic in there.

Agreed. 3 bags a day sounds very excessive, unless perhaps you were running it in a large garage or some other location that is not insulated well and requires it to be on high 24/7.

Hi All, new to the forum, I also purchased a new pp130b in august to replace my tired old 2006 Englander 25-pdvc. I also had some problems with the thermostat control. It seemed to cycle on and off and keep a relatively steady temp. when the outside temps were in the 40's/50's most of the time, but with winter picking up and the temps dropping to the 20's/30's it was running non stop sending the temperature to about 78 in the adjacent room on comfort setting 3. I dont know how high it would have gotten because thats when either my wife or I would shut it down. The glass was also turning black much quicker than the englander even after a total cleaning. Turning it to a lower setting did nothing, it just kept running. After it shut down for an over temp alarm, i decided to take the panels off and poke around. i ended up pulling the ambient probe out and taping it about 4 feet up from the floor on the wall to the right side of the stove which is roughly 18 inches away from the stove. Night and day difference, stove seems to be burning cleaner, and now on comfort setting 3 its holding 73 degrees pretty consistently. The only thing i can figure that makes sense is it was sensing cold air from the outside air intake or the floor (unheated basement with a baseboard radiator behind stove) and not knowing when to shut down. Hard to believe that just a few feet made that much of a difference but so far (about 3 days) its ran flawlessly. I shut it down at least once a day to scrape the burn pot out and brush the glass off, and now when i turn it back on it goes to temp and shuts down. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Mt Bob
.... i ended up pulling the ambient probe out and taping it about 4 feet up from the floor on the wall to the right side of the stove which is roughly 18 inches away from the stove....
I have a PP60-B and this is neat trick. The stove is new to me so I am trying to learn. I think the PP60-B is more or less the same as the PP130.

Could you tell me where exactly the ambient probe is located? In the PP60, facing the stove, if I remove the right side panel, there is a wire from the control board going to the back of the stove opposite to the exhaust port. It sticks maybe 1 or two inches out and is less than a quarter inch diameter in the back. Looks like a stick covered with some black plastic. Is this the temperature probe? (I wish I could take a picture of it but I am at work)

Yes that is the ambient probe, on mine the wire was rolled up and held together with a twist tie from the factory, just be careful that the rubber grommet stays in place when pulling it through to protect it from the sharp metal edge.