1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New Progress Hybrid Installed (pics)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Todd 2, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Thanks Waulie, something tells me I have a twin brother stove. Thanks for all your guy's posts on them.
    Wow the surprise I found when I opened the crate, and now using it :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Between the basement install contraption and this rig, you are like some kind of woodburning MacGyver :).
    Can't stop looking at those pics - Woodstock nailed it with this one. I'd almost wanna buy one even if it was a crappy heater. Must be a really cool job, being the guy who gets to build one of these.
    ScotO and Todd 2 like this.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Good looking stove . . . one of the few that have really caught my eye and made me think about cheating on my beloved Oslo. ;)
    Todd 2 likes this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I think that would be really REALLY nice in that fireplace, Berner! The Oslo is a nice stove too, but I think once you get the stone veneer in that fireplace, man would the Hybrid look great there! Decisions, desicions...
  5. hoss62

hoss62 New Member

awesome pics im new to the forum recently ordered a progress went with ash pan never had one before would like some opinions on ash pan verses no ash pan
  6. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I'm quite happy with my ash pan. Use it once a week or so. Contains mess nicely, easy to use.
  7. hoss62

hoss62 New Member

thanks hollowhill just wasnt shore i work 12 hour shifts so i am hoping it will save me some time curently got a fire veiw i here the progress puts out the btu,s
  8. chipsoflyin

chipsoflyin Member

Loc:
    nw ohio
    You'll love the ash pan, make sure you get the rake, couple of passes with the rake and you are good to go, empty once a week maybe a little more in the middle of winter
  9. hoss62

hoss62 New Member

that sounds great where do i get the rake from wood stock
  10. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks for a nicely detailed posting on the stove and great fire pics Todd2. Is the air fairly open when you took them?

Woodstock appears to be getting this stove dialed in pretty nicely now. They are a good company with a lot of pride in their product. Reminds me of the original VC stove spirit.
  12. Todd 2

Todd 2 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Thanks Begreen, I would say about med low, just enough to keep some wood flame and light secondaries.
    With this new insulated rigid liner I put in at the same time, it really seems to make the stove preform great at super low air settings. I think it would suck a grapefruit up the stack wide open, lol
    Woodstock said they like a strong draft for the turbulence that makes the stove preform its best, I do agree !
    I will try my luck at a short time compressed video of a start to cat mode fire with load and burn times once I get the hang of this stove a little better. Like you, I feel Woodstock has a winner here along with their other stoves.
    Ive heard that the orig. VC's were the cats meow of their day, I still remember my Grandpa's old bifold door Franklin, still wonder how he never burnt the house down making that thing glow red.:)
  13. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Looks great! We love our Fireview, but haven't completely ruled out upgrading to the PH.
  14. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Already got a plan. It's called skip the stairs alltogether! Scafolding up the side of house, block and tackle pulleys to pull the stove up to top of scaffolding, then a large electric lift to grab it and pull it over the balcony railing and bring into a sliding glass door three stories up.

Will be lots of pics....
  15. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    MED LOW? Wow, ...
  16. Berner

Berner Member

Loc:
    Eastern, MA
    When i thought about my first stove in my first home I always thought it would be cast iron. For some reason I just wrote off soapstone stoves all together. This stove has me rethinking my plan.
    ScotO likes this.
  17. Cessna

Cessna Member

Loc:
    Northeast OH
    Your welcome Todd and thank you for taking the time to measure the fire box! Appreciate the details! Looks like this coming Monday and Tuesday evenings you be able to really test the stove out! Enjoy!!!
  18. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Some folks would say that, technically, the Progress is a steel stove. ;lol
  19. greenbrierwv

greenbrierwv Member

Loc:
    Lewisburg, WV
    if you sit to close you will get too hot. ha. ill let you know when i find a negative. it works very well so far for me. - comfortably warm in wv
  20. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a true hybrid stove.