New project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calvarr

Jan 24, 2018
Oregon
Hey guys, first time poster here. Saw a suggestion for this forum on a google search, so thought I’d get some advice here. My wife and I bought a new home in August, and we’ve done quite a few upgrades since then. The next one seems like it’ll be quite a big one.

We have a QuadraFire Sante Fe pellet stove insert installed on a raised mantle, which was put in back in 2007. It seems like the previous owner wasn’t happy with it and ended up installing a nice HVAC unit made by Lennox. So, we’re now interested in removing the Sante Fe and getting a wood fireplace insert in its place.

Couple things that I know we have to do: get new flashings on the chimney (the old metal one is peeling off), replace the flue, and there’s a latch on the chimney outside that looks like a clean out. I’m just wondering if this is worth the effort, and how much more should I expect going into this? The pellet stove performance is really declining, and pretty much everything runs on electricity in this house... I’d like something a little “old school” to rely on just in case.

Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

• New project
    B0BFBF45-8BB1-4F6D-B906-3142309F1A1A.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 101
There's not really enough information there to say. If it's a good sized masonry chimney in good condition, and that hearth is all masonry, a wood insert might be a breeze to put in. If it's veneerstone over wooden framing, the venting might be a little more complex.

If you want to heat with the Lennox and have a wood stove just in case of power failure, you may be better off getting a generator.

If you do want a wood stove, expect a significant chunk of the final bill to be chimney-related; at a minimum you'll need to line the flue.

Is it worth the effort? Well, do you have access to free wood, and are you willing to take on a (fun) part-time job to make your heating bill go away? Everyone's got to answer that for themselves!

Hey guys, first time poster here. Saw a suggestion for this forum on a google search, so thought I’d get some advice here. My wife and I bought a new home in August, and we’ve done quite a few upgrades since then. The next one seems like it’ll be quite a big one.

We have a QuadraFire Sante Fe pellet stove insert installed on a raised mantle, which was put in back in 2007. It seems like the previous owner wasn’t happy with it and ended up installing a nice HVAC unit made by Lennox. So, we’re now interested in removing the Sante Fe and getting a wood fireplace insert in its place.

Couple things that I know we have to do: get new flashings on the chimney (the old metal one is peeling off), replace the flue, and there’s a latch on the chimney outside that looks like a clean out. I’m just wondering if this is worth the effort, and how much more should I expect going into this? The pellet stove performance is really declining, and pretty much everything runs on electricity in this house... I’d like something a little “old school” to rely on just in case.

Thanks in advance guys!

We'd need to see a lot more pictures. We'll have no idea what this latch thing you refer to is unless we see it. Even then I'm not sure.

I see what appears to be a version of a Superior Heat Form firebox which means the tubes will need to be removed along with some of the damper to allow an insert liner to be installed. I've termed this as "cannibalizing" the fireplace. (That may have already been done if the pellet stove was properly lined.) You are pretty much rendering the firebox unusable unless there is a wood stove insert with a liner installed. If you would ever pull the stove the firebox would need to be completely removed and rebuilt to function as a fireplace.

An insert is worth the expense if you're going to be in the house long enough to make it worthwhile. You'll get lots of heat and you don't need to worry about electricity. Of course, the pellet stove could just require some serious cleaning and maintenance too. When was the last time it was taken apart and serviced as well as the chimney being cleaned (providing it's properly lined)?

I agree with the above from the guys.
I am a designer.
And as a professional I work remotely with clients too.
Need more information, detailed photos, and better a little review with the video.Then we can give you a good feedback.
regards
Jasin.