New quads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Dealer did good, kind of a bit of a drive.

2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550 fuel injected with electric power steering

And for the wife.....

2013 Honda recon

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374357963293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374357963293.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 114
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374357970961.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374357970961.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 115
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374357977860.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374357977860.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 116
Very nice rides there.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
I'd love to have power steering in the woods! 2 great machines.

The power steering is nice for sure. It is especially nice when snow plowing or when backing up a wagon or trailer.

Nice bikes!
Did you get a winch?

I didn't get a winch yet. I brought it up at the dealer to add one on for free during the last moments of the deal, but he wasn't budging any more. I will purchase a winch and a plow with a quick disconnect probably early fall or when my wallet reinflates.

Nice toys . . . I mean tools. If you're like me those may become 50% play and 50% tools . . . although lately it's been more of a work machine than a play machine.

Wood, snow, towing will be any work it sees, the rest, trail riding. Gonna try getting on some trails next weekend.

very nice!

I didn't get a winch yet. I brought it up at the dealer to add one on for free during the last moments of the deal, but he wasn't budging any more. I will purchase a winch and a plow with a quick disconnect probably early fall or when my wallet reinflates.
If you go with a Moose Plow, make sure you get the pulley kit if the Grizzly can use that setup. Before the pulley kit the cable would break, after we bought the pulley kit not one break, saves on your winch too.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/moose-plow-pulley-kit.102865/#post-1374501

Thx zap, I'll look into that. Hope the grizzly will accept one

I'm a big fan of the synthetic rope for winches. The cable on my Warn got pretty boogered up by the previous owner and I replaced it with Amsteel. Very good stuff.

I'm a big fan of the synthetic rope for winches. The cable on my Warn got pretty boogered up by the previous owner and I replaced it with Amsteel. Very good stuff.

Racing sailboats, I use miles of Amsteel, and other (better) lines. Amsteel is cool stuff, in that it has a phenomenal strength to weight ratio, but has several disadvantages. First, it's not UV stable, meaning it will fairly quickly deteriorate in the sun. Second, it's a single braid, which runs nice and fast thru blocks, but is almost impossible to hang onto (maybe not a huge issue for winches). It does not hold knots well, and is fragile with respect to abrasion.

I have Amsteel on my boat, in a few control systems (twings, topping lift, etc.) where minimal weight is key, but I would not want it on a winch in the woods!

Racing sailboats, I use miles of Amsteel, and other (better) lines. Amsteel is cool stuff, in that it has a phenomenal strength to weight ratio, but has several disadvantages. First, it's not UV stable, meaning it will fairly quickly deteriorate in the sun. Second, it's a single braid, which runs nice and fast thru blocks, but is almost impossible to hang onto (maybe not a huge issue for winches). It does not hold knots well, and is fragile with respect to abrasion.

I have Amsteel on my boat, in a few control systems (twings, topping lift, etc.) where minimal weight is key, but I would not want it on a winch in the woods!

Doesn't get much sunlight spooled up on a winch ;). I don't like knots in my winch line. I only need to hold on to it enough to wrap it around a tree...or keep myself from falling down walking back to the quad.

It is a bit fragile compared to wire rope, but that hasn't been an issue for me (they come with a nylon abrasion guard for the first 5 or 10 feet). You really shouldn't be in a situation where the winch is touching anything other than what it is hooked up to, air, and the fairlead on you winch when talking about ATV winches. They are good at lifting plows, emergency recovery, and looking cool. Not made for dragging logs and such.

Reactions: Ashful
I don't like knots in my winch line. I only need to hold on to it enough to wrap it around a tree...or keep myself from falling down walking back to the quad.

I was thinking of the knot to the hook at the end of the line, which will undoubtedly require trimming and re-tying after time exposed to use and UV. Again, my thinking is mostly in-line with sailboats, where UV is a very plentiful and constant enemy.

I don't know my knots like a sailor...but the hook is attached to the winch like by installing a thimble and weaving the rope back into the line leading can to the winch. I'm not sure if that is technically a knot...but it sure isn't "tied".

Reactions: Ashful
I just called our Yamaha dealer, he said the Moose Plow with the Quick attach will go on the Grizzly.

Start Saving!
Thanks so much Zap! Ill have to price them out....

Reactions: zap
I don't know my knots like a sailor...but the hook is attached to the winch like by installing a thimble and weaving the rope back into the line leading can to the winch. I'm not sure if that is technically a knot...but it sure isn't "tied".

"spliced" is the term, lukem!

Reactions: lukem
Status
Not open for further replies.