New splitter... Long day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulywalnut

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2012
Kennett Square, PA
Worked around 7 hours splitting this. I separate the oaks,mulberry,locust and ash still have the big oak rounds to do... Vertically of course BS!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 387
I am unable to tell what brand it is though I am guessing a Huskee. How did it work? What is the tonnage? How did you like the engine on the unit?

I see your post now in gear and it's Ariens/Gravely platform.

I see your problem, you could have been done in 5 hours if you would have split it horizontal.... :)

Nice work - hot day to be splittin' !

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Check your maintenance schedule.....I was supposed to change the oil in my Huskee 22 after 5 hours, and didn't....after 50 hours of run time....motor go BOOM !.....warranty denied......$500 later, splitter back up and running with a new motor

I remember when my dad gave me his. It was also a Huskee. Thing has split a lot of wood and it looks like it. I now only go out and split for maybe two hours tops and call it a day. I control my RA better that way so as to not flare it up. Back in the day I went so long it caused these flare ups and I would spend the next few days trying to recover. Getin' older and smarter:)

Worked around 7 hours splitting this. I separate the oaks,mulberry,locust and ash still have the big oak rounds to do... Vertically of course BS!

Nice work Paul.

If you want to save even more time, try stacking the rounds before you do the splitting. We stack the rounds as we cut them during the winter and come spring and snow melt we do all the splitting. Having the rounds stacked in rows saves lots of time. Here is how we do it.

3-31-09b.JPG

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I remember when my dad gave me his. It was also a Huskee. Thing has split a lot of wood and it looks like it. I now only go out and split for maybe two hours tops and call it a day. I control my RA better that way so as to not flare it up. Back in the day I went so long it caused these flare ups and I would spend the next few days trying to recover. Getin' older and smarter:)

Andy, with your RA I'd bet it is good to get into the bakery with all the heat!

Reactions: andybaker
Yes Dennis, that's about the only thing I enjoy with summer being in the bakery. Hope all is well with you and your better half.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Keep baking Andy...

And for sure one of these days we will be visiting Andy and his bakery. I think he'll have some cinnamon rolls ready for me. ;)

Hey Dennis, you gotta let me know first. I will make some special for you. I don't make every day because people here don't buy them. Oh, and now I'm working another job and getting on the road some doing rep/sales work so if I get up your way one day I'll have to give you a call and stop by.

By all means Andy. Call or write and let me know if you are close.

Status
Not open for further replies.