1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

New splitting tool

Post in 'The Gear' started by mtarbert, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    I was recently at the local Home Depot. I saw and purchased a splitting tool that looks alot like an axe but, has small wedge like flanges on both sides. In a weak moment I bought one (35 dollars). I gotta tell you all.....this thing is great. It will bust through knotty oak rounds like no tomorrow. Better than a maul and easier to use. The only draw back is that when it goes thru the split wood it throws the pieces a couple of feet. Anyone who splits by hand should consider buying one.
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cards66

cards66 New Member

Loc:
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you have a picture of it? Or do you know what it is called? I am always up for anything that helps with my hand splitting.
  3. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    I don"t know the name but, it was in the rack at Home Depot with the axes and splitting mauls. With the splitter and a hookaroon it sure makes splitting by hand easy.
    Mike
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Probably a more appropriate thread for the Gear Forum, but it sounds like someone's copying the Fiskars design. I have a number of Fiskars tools, and all my old axes, maul, sledges and wedges have been relegated to the back room storage rack. Of course, I'm a softwood burner, so I don't face the splitting challenge of others, but they really are beautiful tools. Just google Fiskars, or go to Amazon.com & do a search...they're not hard to find. Rick
  5. Hunter819

Hunter819 Member

Loc:
    Mountains of Western PA
    I also have a Fiskars Splitting Axe. I use it more than my 8# maul, but sometimes, I need that extra power the maul can deliver. I think the Fiskars is a wonderful tool. It requires a different kind of technique than the maul but I find that I can swing the Fiskars for longer between breathers. It is a great tool.

Rick, how do you sharpen your Fiskars?

I know they sell a special sharpener but I was just curious if there was another way.

Hunter
  6. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I have one of their little sharpeners, it came with one of my axes. Nothing really special, two small wheels on separate spindles at some magic angle...just like a typical knife/scissors sharpener. Plastic housing. Roll the axe edge back & forth a dozen or so times, and it freshens up the edge. I'm careful with the tools...using them, storing them, and sharpening them...moreso than the way I've historically treated my axes. I got one teeny nick in one of them, and I used a fine flat file on it with a real light touch, then dressid it up with a whetstone...good as new. I won't even walk past my bench grinder with a Fiskars tool in my hand. :lol: Rick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.