New St Croix York insert - knocking/banging sound UPDATE: Fixed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estarrio

Nov 15, 2007
Mass / RI
Hello, This was my first night running my York insert as my secondary pellet stove. The stove seemed to run fine from 8:30p to 4:30a. I woke up to a loud banging sound coming from the stove. The stove would bang very loudly about fourteen times and then operate normally for about a minute. I checked the hopper for pellets and watched the auger light and it did not seem like it was occurring with the auger motor. The ashpans were relatively full for the short time the stove ran but not over full.

Any ideas about what could cause this? I turned it off and will call the dealer in the morning. I didn't want to wake my kids up so I didn't get to fully inspect the versa grate...could this be jammed?

I've never had issues with my other stove...was hoping to be up and running for the cold weekend.

Just to add - I had been running the stove on the three setting. The knocking sound was loud enough to wake me up from downstairs. There was also a fairly steady pattern to it; bang 14 times - silent about a minute - repeat

Only sold a few Yorks out of our shop and we have never heard that one before. What did the dealer where you bought the stove say?

Thanks - still trying to get in touch with the dealer...

I vacuumed it out this morning and tried to restart it...the knocking immediately started. It begins quiet and ultimately sounds like someone is hammering metal in my house. The wife mentioned that it had been doing this for an hour before it woke me up.

Just want to update in case anyone else has this issue.

The dealer was fantastic - The owner came by after hours to get me up and running.

The banging was the versa grate. It just needed to be adjusted and lubed and it is now working great, just in time for the cold weather.

Here is a pic of the install:

qy5ai.jpg

Holy pixels batman! 22" wide screen here and that pic is almost double my monitor!

Glad you are fixed up though. Next up, get irfanview or a good pic resizing app.

Xena said:
Holy pixels batman! 22" wide screen here and that pic is almost double my monitor!

Glad you are fixed up though. Next up, get irfanview or a good pic resizing app.

Sorry! Fixed it...I guess I should learn to preview my posts...

Xena said:

LOL.....man was that BIG!!!

Yep Xena, iPhoto all the way!!

Anyway, estarrio, that's a really nice install. I'm guessing there's a little one around the house, hence the need for the BIG fire gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.