New Stove and Faux Chimneybreast/Inglenook questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJamesJR

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2018
New Hampshire
So I've been lurking for a few weeks now and trying to get my things in order for a semi large heating project.

My wife has convinced me (with very little effort) to convert our old panty into a, I guess what I would call faux inglenook or chimney breast. It's a large pantry, about 3.5' deep by 6' wide and 6' tall. It's located in our kitchen which is mostly open concept with our dining room.

My intention is to completely gut the pantry walls and floor to the studs (its a newer constructed pantry), re-enforce the floors, then layover with some cement board, and top it off with repurposed old chimney brick. I have a pile of chimney brick in my cellar from a torn down chimney, probably from the 1800's which I think would fit the house nicely. I will most likely need to source some more.

So my question regarding the area is about these air gaps. I need to have gaps installed between the brick and the cement board? Are the wall gaps tied into the floor gaps, is it one whole system? Where do you typically put the inlet/outlet for these gaps?

For the stove question; This is a 600sqft space total... with cathedral ceilings about 16' high. The house is an old home, built in the 1700's and is L shaped. So the kitchen/dining room is set back against the main house. The entire house is 1700sqft cape style. I would like the main area of the house to receive some of this heat as well to help us reduce our propane bill, which is absurdly high. I was initially going to go with the Jotul F400 but now I'm thinking the F500 would be more realistic. I also like the side loading option though I'm mostly unbiased. There's a ceiling fan set high in the room that can help to circulate air if that will make a measurable difference.

The chimney I'm not too concerned with because there's really only one right way to install a chimney. I will simply follow the directions from the manufacturer with the help from our local fire code enforcement.

Thanks for reading this long post. I look forward to any helpful input from hearth builders and stove owners.