New Stove Decision Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MKBuckeye

Oct 27, 2018
OH
I have an OLD Warm Morning that I have been using for 17 years and which was used when I bought it. My stove is in the basement, and I have a 3000 square foot house including a finished 500 foot 3rd floor attic. Bedrooms are on 2nd floor. We don't like to roast and prefer a cool house (~65F or so) so I don't want to over do it when I replace my old dragon.

I have no idea what size stove would even equate to the old one, but I'm considering the Enerzone 3.4 or the Lopi Liberty. They are listed at 100K and 75K BTU respectively. Any thoughts? Would it be better to have a smaller stove and burn it hotter, or is that Enerzone even going to do as much as the old Warm Morning? Any advice is appreciated. Is the Lopi a better stove than an Enerzone quality wise?

The venerable Liberty is well made, but it is primarily an E/W loader. The Enerzone would be a better bet. It has a deeper and more usable square firebox that can load N/S. I can't say the Enerzone will heat better than the old stove but it certainly will use less wood for the same heat output.