New stove, existing hearth/chimney/pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvukin

May 18, 2021
Ohio
I have burned wood in an old Efel Montana stove (top loader) for a number of years, but am looking to replace it with a stove that keeps the glass cleaner, is more efficient, will hold a fire longer, and that has lower emissions. The heat output of the Efel has been adequate, our house in SW Ohio is 1700 square feet; we burn small hot fires from mid November to April from 7am to 11pm, adding a log every 45 minutes or so. No creosote, only ash on our annual flue cleanings. We go through 2-2.5 cords/year. We have a 6" stainless steel flue liner running through a 24' tall masonry chimney.
I like the looks and size of the VC Encore and the Jotul 500 Oslo, and at this point, these are the stoves in which I am most interested.
Any suggestions as to which stove might be most appropriate (these or others?), or if replacement is even beneficial, would be appreciated. Top load vs front load vs side load is also a consideration. Thanks!
DV

I recently got a Hearthstone Castleton stove, it is a front loading soapstone wood stove, my house is 1200~ sq ft and it is able to heat it well. It is also eligible for the 26% tax credit on 2021 EPA certified wood stoves, make sure you look into that before choosing a stove!

So far it has been great, it takes awhile to heat up (due to the high mass of the stone) but since you are keeping it lit all the time it might be a good option for you. I can sit / stand right next to it and it doesn't feel TOO hot where its uncomfortable.

Just an idea, good luck finding the stove that works for you!! There are plenty of good options that are eligible for the tax credit

I recently got a Hearthstone Castleton stove, it is a front loading soapstone wood stove, my house is 1200~ sq ft and it is able to heat it well. It is also eligible for the 26% tax credit on 2021 EPA certified wood stoves, make sure you look into that before choosing a stove!

So far it has been great, it takes awhile to heat up (due to the high mass of the stone) but since you are keeping it lit all the time it might be a good option for you. I can sit / stand right next to it and it doesn't feel TOO hot where its uncomfortable.

Just an idea, good luck finding the stove that works for you!! There are plenty of good options that are eligible for the tax credit
Thanks for sharing you experience! That Castleton is a sweet stove, would probably be my first choice. The local dealer has one on the floor and I really liked it. My wife prefers the aesthetics of a more traditional looking full cast iron stove and so we’ve moved on to other options.
I looked at a Jotul F 500 V3 Oslo yesterday and was disappointed with some of the workmanship, specifically how the stove cement on the interior seams was slopped around the firebox. And the replacement cost on the “Combuster” (their 10-12k hr catalyst) is high.
Now leaning toward a Vermont Castings Encore or Dauntless.
I prefer the look of the original Encore doors, but like the non-cat option on the Dauntless.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Jotul has always left the seam ooze inside the stove. It affects nothing. The combuster in the v3 is guaranteed for life. How this works out in real-world burning is TBD.
Take a look at the costs of cat + refractory assembly replacement on the VC stoves. It is not trivial.

Reactions: Shrewboy
Good point on the Jotul seam ooze.
Regarding the combustor, is the warranty on manufacturing defects or is the combustor represented to be a lifetime use item, ie NOT a consumable?
Any suggestions on a different stove to consider given the context?
Thanks, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Good point on the Jotul seam ooze.
Regarding the combustor, is the warranty on manufacturing defects or is the combustor represented to be a lifetime use item, ie NOT a consumable?
Any suggestions on a different stove to consider given the context?
Thanks, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Combustors are consumables no matter what a company claims. The v3 is still a new relatively unproven design. And the vc stoves have very expensive and pretty fragile internal combustion parts the cat is the least of your worries with them

What other stoves should I be considering? I’m thinking something in the 40-50,000 BTU range.
I worry about new and unproven designs, and there are lots of negative posts about VC from the past few years.
Maybe I should just continue burning my old Efel. Haha!

What other stoves should I be considering? I’m thinking something in the 40-50,000 BTU range.
I worry about new and unproven designs, and there are lots of negative posts about VC from the past few years.
Maybe I should just continue burning my old Efel. Haha!
Have you looked at moroso stoves? Blaze king Ashford? Pacific energy alderleas

I erred. The F500v3 combustor has a 20 yr warranty for defects only. Otherwise it has a standard pro-rated warranty.

Have you looked at moroso stoves? Blaze king Ashford? Pacific energy alderleas
Morso no longer sells medium-sized stoves like the 3610. Just little ones now. The market needs a return of the Hampton H300. Another stove to consider would be the Hearthstone Shelburne. But note that with this stove and the BK Ashford it is better to batch burn.

Reactions: bholler
I appreciate the suggestions that have been made.
After much further thought and research, I think I've narrowed the choice to a Vermont Castings Dauntless and a Hearthstone Shelburne. Any thoughts about which might be the better choice? If I go with the Dauntless, is it worth getting the catalyst? Thanks.