New stove for the shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Saw a listing for a local pot-bellied stove for $75. Went and looked at it. looks like it needs some cement and wire-brushing and stove paint. I gave him his asking price. I knew it was old because it said it was made in a nearby town that I know hasn't had a stove maker for years and years. Found a mention online that says they quit making stoves in the 30s. Anyway, fun stove. Probably too big for the shed, probably shouldn't burn in it if it's a local collectible, probably will waste firewood in it. I don't care. it will look cool and keep me warm when I want out of the house....

I'll post pics sometime soon.

(I don't know if I'll post this anywhere else or not, but I totally tweaked my back worse than I ever have before just by loading this stove onto the trailer. This isn't going away and it's been two weeks. I can't do anything-only thing that doesn't hurt is standing or laying. Dx is Sacroiliac Dysfunction. Progonsis is that it may be a couple of weeks, may be a couple of years, may take physical therapy, may not. 100% sure that it will make me miserable for a while.)

Sorry to hear about the back problems. I was going to split wood this weekend, but mine is not happy either. Probably from moving railroad ties last weekend. Take good care of yourself and don't push it until things have healed.

For the stove, it sounds interesting. Give it lots of clearance (36" all around) and a proper flue. If it is not cracked or too leaky it could to fine for the man cave.

I have my Napoleon at 18" in my quad shed. Floor area is still 0 to -5c when its really cold out. Keeping the fumes to a minimum. Still better than starting everything moving at -30.

Messed up my back big time when I was building the fireplace and lifting heavy stones up into place. Short version is, I was in bad shape for a long time. After the osteopath and chiropractor the end result is there is nothing but time that fixes things. A long time. It was over a year before I felt "normal." All the exercises and Ibuprofen and "adjustments" were just, really, to make me feel as if I were doing something constructive to fix it. It is just time. And, well, during that time you cannot "overdo" things with your back, that is probably the toughest part for those of us who are accustomed to being "can-do" types. There is one for-sure way to tell if you are overdoing it: if it feels bad, even extremely slightly bad, to do it, don't. You'll just delay recovery. [Example: do NOT pick up that round of wood to set it onto the chopping block. Instead, roll the round up a 2 x 10 or other board. If you overdo it even once in a year you will be starting over.

Hmmm, 18"? I guess it would be a decent idea, but I'm more worried about making sure I have a decent R-Value below the stove on the wood floor and in front of it.

I've got a decent chimney setup in mind that will be fairly simple and safety shouldn't be an issue with that.

Now, as far as this back thing, I totally understand the be careful thing. Doctor gave me something to take for the pain, but I'm hesitant to use anything other than an anti-inflammatory because I don't want to mask any "bad move" pains that could impair healing. Now, if I have a bad day and the back is killing me and I can't sleep, or if I do make a bad move that just puts me in a lot of pain, I'm taking that stuff (Just Tylenol-3), but otherwise I'm saving it for a rainy day.

This getting older crap isn't fun. The thing that sucks the worst is that this injury is coinciding with a rash of new gray hair, lol.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
wood stoves are killers on the back for sure!
a hearthstone I ruined my back in 2004, no more woodstove installs for me

is a shed treated like a garage? needs 18" raised hearth??

Why do tou need 18" of raised hearth in a garage ? Never heard of this before. Streaching my legs out a coulple times a day does wonders for my back. My mussles get so tight my back can't move properly.

woodsmaster said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
wood stoves are killers on the back for sure!
a hearthstone I ruined my back in 2004, no more woodstove installs for me

is a shed treated like a garage? needs 18" raised hearth??

Why do tou need 18" of raised hearth in a garage ? Never heard of this before. Streaching my legs out a coulple times a day does wonders for my back. My mussles get so tight my back can't move properly.
I have learned a lot of code stuff from Hearth.com, but I am no expert. I hadn't heard this one before, but my best guess is that it is because of flammable vapors that may hover around the floor (in case of a spill or accident). Just my guess. wait for someone who knows to verify that.

I didn't know about this code BECAUSE I thought stoves in garages were against codes to begin with. I dunno......

our local build dept calls for 18" elevation of any flame in a shop or potential work space(even gas hot water heaters in garages etc). im not sure the national code on this one, because it really only matters what your building dept says

and yes i believe their reasoning is flamable liquid spills etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.